Search

Traveling by train

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling by train

I am going to Chicago from Houston and I was curious if they have more private seating or will I be tightly squeezed in with other passengers.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 05:17 PM

Don't know what you mean by private seating. The seating on the train is fairly spacious. Nothing like airline seating.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 05:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want a private compartment that converts to sleeping quarters, find your train and see which of these are offered:
https://www.amtrak.com/onboard-the-t...accommodations
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 06:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can afford it, get a roomette on Amtrak.
The seat pitch on Amtrak coach cars is 39 inches.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...trak/18471389/
Tonight I'll be sleeping in a coach seat on the way to Sacramento. The Coast Starlight arrived in Sacramento this morning 53 minutes early before anyone complains about how late they sometimes are.
On the way back from Sacramento, we have a roomette that I got on Amtrak Guest Rewards points.
There are at least 2 more restrooms on an Amtrak coach car than on most airplanes.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 09:44 AM

I wouldn't say it is "much more spacious" than airline seating, and that really depends what level you are flying on an airline. I would say legroom is a little greater on Amtrak than in coach economy. I think the seats may be a bit wider, also.

yes, you will be in with all the riffraff, same as everyone else.

You only talk about seating, so I'm not sure what to make of how you are going as that is a very very long train ride (20 hrs). If you just have a seat, yikes. If you book a roommette and there are two of you, you do have that small room to yourself.

see https://www.amtrak.com/VirtualTour/S..._roomette.html
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 05:34 PM

Not sure where you are from but on Amtrak your choices are seats (much more comfy than airline seats) but it is festival seating (you buy a ticket but don't get a specific seat) and there are 2 on either side of the aisle. For longer trips only (you have to check the specific train) you can get a sleeper compartment or roomette - but they are much more expensive.

Look at the Amtrak web site to see what your options are.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 08:04 PM

Hi Jill,

I have taken the Texas Eagle train a few times; to get to Houston, you'd take the train to Longview TX from Chicago--when you arrive a bus will be waiting for you for ongoing travel to Houston. Given the vast distances involved, I'd recommend a roomette if you want to go by train--a good bit more expensive than coach but I find I can sleep (quite well but mileage varies from person to person even in a sleeper) in a roomette, not so much in coach. A roomette gives you access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago (a nice place to sit with complimentary drinks & snacks), a shower on the train as well as complimentary beverages in your wagon & meals in the dining car.

Both coach & sleeper passengers have access to the observation lounge. I find this a pleasant, social place to read my book and admire the scenery.

Best wishes, Daniel