Travel time between EWR to Downtown NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In trying to find the least expensive option to go from Newark Airport to Downtown NYC, it seems that taking the Airtrain to EWR Airport Train Station, NJTransit to EWR Penn Station then PATH to Downtown is the way to go.

I'd like to have a rough idea as to how long this would take as well as a suggested return time back to the airport, probably from NYPenn, in order to make a 6:40 pm flight to Gatwick this Friday.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Friday at NY/NJ aiports are a bit of a ZOO, so I would suggest you head out of Manhattan around 2pm, that should get you to the airport no later than 3:30, so you can check in, check bags, go through security and get to your gate. Security on a Friday will take alot of time.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:41 PM

The AirTrain runs every 3 minutes, and take about 10 to get to the Newark Airport Station.

NJTransit train frequency depends on time of day. Most of the time, you get a train every 10-15, but sometimes up to 30. It takes 6 minutes to get to Newark Penn.

PATH runs every 5-10 minutes and takes 22.

So, worst case scenario, it may take you close to 90 minutes if you have to wait for the maximum for trains. Chances are you can get there in under.

For you return trip, just check njtransit.com and find the train you should take back from NYPenn to EWR. It takes about 25 minutes, and NOT ALL TRAINS stop at EWR.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:32 AM
GoTravel

rkkwan, your time is off.

The two times I've done the AirTrain from Newark to downtown (Club Quarters and Manhattan Seaport Suites) it took 2 hours (120 minutes) from the time I got my luggage at Newark until I stepped out of the subway station.

The ride from Newark Airport to Penn Station NY is longer than six minutes. You have to stop at Newark Penn Station and one other stop.

For me, the money I saved was not worth the time.

It was $14 one way and for $30 I could hire a car service.

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:37 AM

It's 6 minutes from Newark Airport train station to Newark Penn. I stated for the OP's return trip that it's 25 minutes New York Penn to Newark Airport train station.

Sorry, but maybe you need to read the route we're talking about more carefully. It's AirTrain - NJTransit - PATH.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:52 AM
GoTravel

Okay, I'm a dolt.

That time is correct unless you get on the furthest train at the airport from the train station (me) or get on it going the wrong direction (me again).