Amtrak Train from Penn to Newark Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be coming from Albany and heading to Newark Airport via Amtrak with a transfer at Penn station. We will have lots of luggage for a 2 week trip. Can anyone tell me how cumbersome it will be getting from Penn station to Newark Airport via Amtrak. Is there many stairs? Do we need to transfer trains? Would it be the same when we return coming back from the airport and heading into Penn? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM

There's no direct train from Albany to Newark Airport. Must make a change at NY Penn. That most likely involves going up a crowded escalators, walk over some, then going down another escalator to the other train.

At Newark Aiport station, you'll go up an escalator, walk a little, then transfer to the AirTrain to the terminal. Go down another escalator to the check-in counters.

Same thing on the way back.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 04:32 AM

You can always pay for Red Cap service in NY Penn (not to be confused with Penn Newark, which is the name of the Newark "center city" stop).
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Definitely pay for the Red Cap at Penn Station. They will take you directly to your train and help you get good seats. Check out the New Jersey Transit site to get info on getting to and from Penn Station: http://www.njtransit.com/rg_cn_ac.shtml
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:34 PM

lilypoo, I think you have gotten some confusing information above. You seem to realize that you must change at NY Penn Station to get to Newark. There are direct trains (either on Amtrak or NJ Transit, New Jersey's public transit system train) from NY Penn Station to the Newark Airport stop, which still require you to take the "Airtrain" (a tiny little lightrail-type train) from the Newark Airport station to the airport terminals. You need your Amtrak/NJT ticket to get on Airtrain. Airtrain is a quick ride to the terminals, though, maybe 5 minutes.

However, I'm pretty sure you can use elevators at Newark Airport station to and from Airtrain instead of escallators. I've used the Airport Station/Airtrain a few times but forget now if this is true - but I'm 99% sure. Can anyone verify this? I do remember that it was pretty easy to move about with luggage; the station is fairly new and modern.

At NY Penn Station, you might have an easier time transferring from Amtrak to Amtrak vs. transferring from an Amtrak train to NJ Transit (not sure). Could be elevators there too(?). I'll bet if you are starting in Albany with Amtrak anyway it might not cost much more to stick with Amtrak and not bother with NJ Transit, but you might price it both ways.

Whatever you do, realize that not EVERY train (this goes for Amtrak and for NJ Transit) stops at the Newark Airport station (even if it stops at "Newark"). Just make sure you book one/plan for one that does indeed stop at the airport

Andrew
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:42 PM

There are several ways to get to Newark airport from Penn station. This page should map out the options.

http://www.airtrainnewark.com/airtrainnewark/index.html
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the valuable information.