Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Regent cruise in 6/07 out of Seward ~ pls. help with 4 nights before cruise begins!

Search

Regent cruise in 6/07 out of Seward ~ pls. help with 4 nights before cruise begins!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have just begun planning our first trip to Alaska. Unfortunately, we only have 4 nights (really 3 full days) prior to cruise leaving out of Seward.

We love to travel and prefer local hotels or B&Bs (no Holiday Inns). We like unique restaurants. Prefer upscale but does not have to be expensive just to be expensive.

Would appreciate your help with........

1. Can we rent car at airport in Anchorage and drop off in Seward?

2. If we want to spend the last night in Seward (night before cruise begins), what would you recommend for the other 3 nights? We enjoy scenic beauty.

3. Can you recommend hotels and restaurants?

4. I am private pilot so would appreciate any suggestions landing on glaciers, etc.

Thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 06:41 PM

I may just be dense, but are you planning on spending those three days in Seward? Or are you looking for recommendations of other places to visit, with the idea of driving down to Seward the day before the cruise?

If you can keep the car while in Seward, I would definitely recommend staying out on Lowell's Point at Angels Rest. They have two beachfront cabins. We stayed last year in the Gatehouse and it was probably the most beautiful place we've ever stayed in our lives. The black pebbled beach, the wildflowers everywhere in bloom (even in August), the stunning ice blue color of Resurrection Bay ... we want to go back so badly. Driving out to Lowell's Point is a bit of an adventure, but WELL worth it for the destination. Each evening we'd take a walk on the beach before going to bed, and we'd leave the windows open so we could hear the waves lapping at the shore. Then in the morning, we'd make coffee and take a walk out on the beach, watching the eagles soar and the otters play. Gee, I sound like an advertisement, I know, but my only connection to this place is as a happy customer. Their website is http://www.angelsrest.com/

I can give you my advice on the rest of your question once I understand what exactly you are hoping to do.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks birder..........

I think we are looking to spend the 3 other nights in another beautiful location (e.g., Denali). I know we don't have enough time but if we could do Seward and say another location (or 2) that would be great. Thanks for Lowell's Point suggestion.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:05 AM

Given your limited time, I don't think you can fit Denali in. And, besides, the road from Anchorage north is not anywhere near as scenic as south of Anchorage. If you want to consider a day exploring the Palmer/Wasilla area I recommend Alaska Garden Gate B&B in Palmer. Independence Mine is a great opportunity to see the remnants of old Alaska and wonderful wildflowers. It is amazing how mining towns could be built back then. Although small, you might want to visit the Transportation Museum in Wasilla because of your interest in flight. There was quite a bit of information about early aviation and the first pilots. You might also get a kick out of reading the book about the Iditarod Air Force (the volunteer pilots for the Iditarod sled dog race.) (Never leave a bunch of huskies in an antique plane.) I would allow a full day to get from Anchorage to Seward so you have plenty of time to take the tram up Mt Alyeska in Girdwood and spend some time at the visitors center at Portage Glacier. You would also have time for the Sealife Center in Seward. In Anchorage you would also probably like to see Lake Hood where the sea planes are moored even if you just do a drive by. We were told that 1 out of 10 people in Alaska have a pilot's license and 10 out of 100 own a plane.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Denali would be hard to do, but it's a real shame that you'll miss it, because it's simply stunning.

I'd recommend that you spend your time on the Kenai Peninsula. I'd drive to Homer for 2 nights, and then drive to Seward for two nights. Lots to do in both. I'm not sure about how much it would cost to drop off the car in Seward. I would check on that first. If the cost is too much, you could instead do a Brooks Camp bear viewing trip out of Anchorage for 2 nights, and then take the train down to Seward. That way you wouldn't need a car at all. Just get a room in the Seward Holiday Inn Express (which is new) - it's close to the train station.

I'm sure the many Alaska travel gurus will have other suggestions. I just think that Denali & Brooks Camp are two of the most quintessential Alaskan experiences, so if you can't do Denali, you should consider Brooks Camp. (Note: I have not done Brooks Camp yet, but hope to soon!)
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Actually, I should point out the irony of my statement, "If the cost of the rental car drop-off is too high, consider a 2-day trip to Brooks Camp." Such a trip to Brooks Camp would be very expensive. However, what I meant was that if you don't feel like putting a lot of money into a rental car drop-off fee, you could spend it on something like Brooks Camp!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:58 AM

I would suggest you research areas and pick your top interests. You do not have time for Denali park.

So you could go to Talkeetna - flightseeing, glacier hiking www.micaguides.com Anchorage, Seward. Or as already suggested do Homer and Seward. The only way to go with your short time making the most of it is to rent a one way car Anchorage/Seward- costly- ABSOLUTELY but worth it, only rental agency is Hertz.