Search

Travel time across Cape Cod

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel time across Cape Cod

Hello-
I'm wondering if Yahoo Maps estimate of an hour and 45 minutes is realistic for the time to travel from Sandwich to Provincetown.
Thanks so much.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 03:03 PM

I think they are pretty close with their time estimate. It takes about 30 minutes from the Bridge (either one) to Dennis. From Dennis to Ptown is about an hour. Traffic can add a few minutes to the total. Route 6, the main throughway, is four lanes and divided until you get past Exit 9 in Dennis; then it narrows to one lane with minimal dividers and then no dividers. While it is generally a safe road, you do need to be alert. The positive is that there is less traffic beyond Dennis most of the time. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 06:26 PM

Sounds close - unless you are traveling on a rainy Saturday in the summer - or some other time when traffic volume will be very high. It has taken us 4 hours from the bridge to Wellfleet (about 1/2 hour from Provincetown) in such circumstances, but that is the exception.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 07:06 AM

Gail, we have had similar experiences. It took us three hours from Dennis to the bridge on Columbus Day weekend several years ago. I do not think juliemarier will be travellling then--at least, I hope not. So, I think the original estimate is correct.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Allow for a healthy hour driving time. As you can see, season, weather etc can make a vast difference. Please watch your speed very carefully in Eastham, Truro and into Ptown......It's how the outer Cape funds it's police force!!!