Search

Cape Cod Memorial Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2009, 09:45 AM
jkc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod Memorial Day Weekend

I'm planning on visiting Cape Cod during Memorial Day weekend with my husband. I'm looking for a quiet area with nice scenery. It would be nice to see Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket for a day trip as well. Would Falmouth be a prime location to stay at? If so, any suggestions for an intimate B&B to stay in? Is the National Seashore a must see when going to Cape Cod? It's a bit far and I don't think we'll have the time to see it. Also, does anyone know if the weather will be chilly during late May?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/tips.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM

The Commodore-W. Harwich MA
Alyce's Dunscrpft-Harwichport, MA
Wequassett-Chatham, MA
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 05:04 AM

The weather may be chilly. Over the four day weekend, you are almost guaranteed that one of the days will be chilly and/or wet.

I say four day weekend, because you want to get there early on Friday and leave on Tuesday morning to avoid traffic, serious traffic. Traffic will be easier from Falmouth than from further out the Cape, but Falmouth is a good way from the National Seashore, maybe 50 mile, maybe a bit less.

Look for Woods Hole accomodation and you can take a nice day trip to the Vineyard. Getting to Nantucket will be less simple, partly because of a big sailboat race, the Figawi Cup, on the Saturday. Participants eat up a lot of the already limited ferry and airport parking.

If you don't go to the Vineyard, there are many wonderful places to explore along Buzzards Bay north of Falmouth. Just head down any road until you find water. Sandwich has much charm, and all of route 6A along the north shore of the Cape is pretty, with lots of antique and specialty shops. Route 28, along the southern side of the Cape is pretty hideous. Along 61, there is plenty of water access, but it won't be marked. Just drive down the side roads.

Ordinarily, you might already be too late to book a nice B&B, but with the economy the way it is . . . .

Check out Tripadviser as a resource and as a guide. There are, sadly, some real dumps on the Cape as well as some fabulous places.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 05:05 AM

Sorry, that should be 6A, not 61.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 05:37 AM

Agree weather could be quite chilly, but could also be quite pleasant - entirely unpredictable.

We've gone to Cape Cod many Memorial Day weekends, and traffic is not a concern - especially this year, as there will likely be fewer visitors. We have experienced some almost freezing weather, but never any serious traffic.

One of our favorite places to stay that time of year is the Bradford Inn in Chatham (for the gorgeous and comfortable rooms with fireplaces) and in-town location. (We find B&B's way too intimate with little or no privacy...)
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 10:12 AM

The weather on the Cape is notoriously unpredictable. We have had 55 degrees and rain that is propelled sideways by strong NE winds in the middle of June and we have had swelteringly hot Memorial Days as well. There is a reason why the main "season" on the Cape starts at the 4th of July......but you may be fortunate and have the delightful weather that one often finds. You just cannot count on it. The other caveat is that by the seashore, weather fronts often stall and the good---or bad---weather can last for many days in a row.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM

To really experience Cape Cod you really should go to the National Seashore. The beaches and pristine coastal landscape of the outer cape are truly unique and will give you a different sense of "old cape cod".

Eastham is a perfect place to relax and yet be close to several villages with shopping, dining and events. We stay at Fort Hill B+B inside the park where we have total privacy and great proximity to both Provincetown (30 minutes), CHatham (20 minutes), Orleans with many shops and restaurants (2 minutes) and Hyannis (30 minutes) with fast ferry to Nantucket. This is not your typical small B+B. Fort Hill is more like a small boutique hotel in that the guest spaces are totally separate from the innkeepers quarters...dedicated guest entrance and living room for the suites in the main house and separate cottage with ocean view. If the weather is not perfect, there is plenty of space to relax inside and DVD's and fireplaces to cosy up by. The full breakfasts are out of this world and the innkeepers are available to make suggestions if you need them.

The Fort Hill Area is one of our favorites to walk with a variety of panoramic ocean/marsh views, open fields, forest and board-walked maple swamp, all maintained by the Park Service. Coast Guard Beach, the National Seashore Visitor's Center and the bike trail are all in Eastham.

We often take a day trip to Nantucket from our base at Fort Hill. It takes 30 minutes to drive to the ferry and about 1 hour on the water to Nantucket. It's a great day! The ferry lets us off in the town of Nantucket where we visit the Whaling Museum, Brandt's Point and of course browse the $$shops in town. The architecture is lovely so plan to bring a camera.

Cape Cod??? Can't go wrong!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:52 AM
jkc
Original Poster

thank you all for the suggestions. I still haven't booked but hopefully will in the next week. we are going to MA for a wedding and will just be staying from Saturday til Monday. I think from what Ackislander wrote, it would be best for us to stay in the upper cape region. If anyone has a stayed at a nice B&B or hotel in Falmouth or Woods Hole and would recommend staying there, please let me know. I'm basically looking for decent space, cleanliness, and privacy.

I'm so excited for this trip already.....can't wait.
Thank you all again.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 06:10 PM

We have a time share for the last 2 weeks of August at Beachside Village in Falmouth. It is right across the street from Surf Drive Beach and many of the units have wonderful ocean views. I would not be surprised if they have availability for Mem Day wknd.

It does not have B&B type ambience but it is very nicely done in old Cape Cod style and all the units are quite spacious.

Are you bike riders? There is a wonderful bike path from Falmouth to Woods Hole that has one expanse that goes right along the ocean. We have been going to Falmouth/Woods Hole for >30 years and it is a great area.