Reload this Page >

Travel from winery to winery

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Nikki

Here's a question that I'm surprised isn't asked more on this site: is there a way to get from winery to winery in Napa Valley without renting a car or a limo? Drinking and driving isn't a good idea, and if there's a designated driver, where's the fun in that? Thanks!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:41 AM
linda

Secret is to have a good breakfast. Do tastings- limit yourself at each winery to only a few. Throw out what you don't like- you don't have to finish! Walk the grounds, shop, then move on. It takes an hour to metabolize app. 5 oz of alcohol- so time your tastings accordingly. There are wine tasting shops in many towns- such as Healdsburg. If you go after your tours, you can taste to your heart's content, then walk home. Also, take time for a good lunch each day. Some people took a trip on the Wine Train- it's a good way to eat, see the views and drink different wines.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:52 AM
xx

FYI: there are no views on the wine train.

I do second the advice of linda though. Don't feel like you have to finish all the the wines that are poured. Buy a bottle of your favorites for later.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Kal

Remember...it's a "tasting" not a swallowing....Yeah, right...like I could do that! The last one I went to asked me if I wanted to be hooked up to an IV!

Linda prob has the best idea, even tho the Wine Train gets some bad revus.

I think Groezinger's in Yountville gives you some good tastes and is within walking distance to hotels, spas and restaurants.

Also, keep an eye open for some of the city festivals like "A Taste Of......" because a lot of local wineries show up and for a slight fee, give you tastes.
Yountville some sort of Christmas lights fest the day after T'giving and it was a blast. Found out that we really like a Noah merlot.

Kal

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:25 PM
kam

I generally do all the driving and we share a tasting. I only drink white wines (physical reasons) so I stop after 1/2 a taste of the whites while husband goes on to the reds. We usually stop for lunch and have a full glass of a favorite then. Tend to make reservations at places that we can walk to dinner or have a dining room at the hotel (Madrona Manor is a wonderful place for dinner) and then we have a bottle of the day's favorite wine. The concept is "tasting" but in recent years since the wineries charge for tasting, I've seen more and more people guzzling up the wines. A couple years ago we spent a weekend with another couple. We decided with four drivers we would have a designated driver for 1/2 day each and that person would get to select the wine either at lunch or dinner after his "shift" was over. It actually worked very well--it doesn't take much restraint to drive for half a day. You can rent bikes, but you shouldn't be biking while drinking either. Be aware that the CHP knows you're there and that there are terrible accidents every year on some of the roads leading out of Napa and Sonoma so they tend to be well patroled. Please be careful.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:34 PM
kal

And to clarify our beloved kam's post, bicycles are also subject to the same rules/regs as autos so you can get a DUI for operating a bike while intox!
No. This is not the voice of experience talking!
Kal

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:27 PM
kam

Kal, I know you're correct about the DUI while riding a bike, but what do they do to you? Can they take away your driver's license? Or is it more like public drunkeness? Anyone know? At any rate....be careful.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 03:33 PM
kal

Kam, At the risk of boring you all to death, I'll check with a PD friend of mine to see if he can give me more exact details.
I think a guy was even arrested for DUI while riding a horse alongside the road in the Placerville area a few years back. I always picture Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou.
Kal

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Kal

Kam,
Here's a part of the Cal DMV code, but just a $250 fine doesn't sound right in Calif! There has to be more strings att. like ins rates going up, points vs your license????:

21200.5. Notwithstanding Section 21200, it is unlawful for any
person to ride a bicycle upon a highway while under the influence of
an alcoholic beverage or any drug, or under the combined influence of
an alcoholic beverage and any drug.

A conviction of a violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than two hundred fifty
dollars ($250). Violations of this section are subject to Section
===========================