Best Florida Snorkeling Spots

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Gerri

Best Florida Snorkeling Spots

We're planing a trip to the Keys. Where are the best snorkeling spots? Any other good spots in South/Southwest Florida?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Bob

John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo is one of the best in the state. Not sure about Southwest Florida. I know the Red Tide has been a problem there lately.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Postal

Take a boat out to Looe Key from Big Pine Key, Little Torch Key, or Ramrod Key. It's a marine sanctuary and the fish sure seem to know it! The boat will cost about $25 per person for snorkeling. There is no excellent snorkeling from any beach in the Florida Keys that I know of.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Wendy

We snorkled Looe Key Reef with Looe Key Dive Center on Ramrod key. We had a boat out to the reef, snorkle equipment, wet suits and 3 sites on the reef for $40! Great deal! It was from 10-3. Highly recommend them!

You really need to go out and snorkle from a boat in the keys.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:48 AM
pamr

Pennenkamp itself is not very good for snorkeling; however, they do sailboat/snorkel cruises out of that area that are good. They go to a variety of reefs, depending on water clarity. There is an office at the park where you can sign up. You might want to call about the sign-up policy. Also, any trip out to Looe key - there are trips out from Bahia Honda which is a very nice beach. There is a guide out - I think its Lonely Planet? - on dive & snorkel spots in the Keys. Most of your good ones need boat access.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
pamr

Let me qualify my remarks on Pennenkamp - I meant the beach access snorkelling was not very good. The snorkel cruises that go out to its reef's are.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 07:36 PM
shellie

Just returned from snorkelling the Keys.#1 Looe Key
#2 Sombrero Reef
#3 Pennekamp State Park
Barbaras Reef off of Marathon was not good, too deep

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:33 PM
mo

I agree Looe Key is awesome. Just got back