Transportation from Oakland Airport to Union Square

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help! I'm coming to San Francisco in October and have found that airfare into Oakland is much cheaper. How far is Oakland from Union Square and what would be the best mode of transportation to get me to my hotel... WITH LUGGAGE! My hotel is the Galleria Park at 191 Sutter (I think that is the address). Would it just be smarter to pay the extra and fly into SFO.
thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Depends on how much luggage.

If you can manage to pull your luggage along, then take BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). It'll take you very close to where your hotel is located. Then you just walk from BART to your hotel.

However, if you have several pieces of luggage or a large piece that you can't manage by yourself, you could take a taxi or a shuttle. I'd guess that either taxi or shuttle (about $30) will cost less than the difference in airfare.

Besides which, even if you land at San Francisco Airport, you will have the same problem and almost equal expense of getting to your hotel. SFO is way south of your hotel.

Good luck and Welcome to California!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:52 AM

I would not pay extra to fly into SFO.

Check BART website and the AirBART - connecting bus. It's easy to use, but they don't run 24 hours.

The AirBus has shelves for luggage, and on BART you'll find where to put your suitcase(s), everybody does it. If I did it - everyone can

If you arrive at night, there are shuttles. Out of Oakland, if I remember correctly, around $35, out of SFO $15. Even if you use a shuttle out of OAK, still the $20 difference is less then the ticket price difference, right?

And for you hotel I think Montgomery station is the closest. And it's the same BART you'd take out of SFO, only different direction.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks easytravelor for the advice. So do you think it would be about the same distance from each airport? I thought there were shuttle busses that would take me for about $14.00 from SFO but didn't know if there were shuttle buses that take you directly to your hotel form the Oakland airport. Anyone know that??
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks FainaAgain! I just got your reply! Great info. Yes, the $20.00 more is better than $100.00 more for air! I appreciate your help!!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Hi tammy, when I have visitors from Italy they actually prefer to arrive at the Oakland airport and take the BART shuttle to BART that takes them to SF (Union Sq.) versus arriving at SFO and using BART from there. I agree with Faina, get off at the Montgomerey St. BART station. It is the second BART station when you come into SF. The first station is the Embarcadero station.

When you leave the Montgomery St. BART station just walk up Montgomery St. one block and you will be at Sutter St. Unless you have more luggage then you can handle there should be no problem at all to get to your hotel. Enjoy you visit to SF!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly!

You know.. there is no doubt in my mind that I will LOVE San Francisco. If such kind and helpful people like you live there it has to be wonderful! I have to say that everytime I ask about San Franciso I get the most wonderful people with such great quick responses to my questions..
Thanks!! Can't wait to get there!!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Well Tammy, thank you. Big cities can be confusing especially for a first time visitor. I think Fodor's is wonderful because posters here give great details on the "how to" which IMO most guide books don't.

SF has often been rated as one of the top cities for friendly residents (along with Sydney). We may be considered a "bit crazy or looney" by a lot of the world but people are laid back and friendly, LOL.

BTW, it sounds like you will be coming on your own to SF. SF is a great place for a single woman. There are tons of single women in SF. I truly know you will have a wonderful time.

Post back if you have any other questions. There are lots of threads here on Fodor's regarding SF that should be of help to you also. Best wishes.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Nope, not single but hubby isn't going to end up being able to go. So... we (my friends and I) need to know what we are doing. We are going to be running in the Nike marathon!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:42 PM

tammy: you've got two of the best, Faina and loveitaly, answering your questions!

Sorry, I have been away and busy all day, but my answers wouldn't have been half as good as theirs anyhow.

Good luck on the Nike Marathon!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Topping for Pidge.