Transportation from Newburgh NY to NYC

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transportation from Newburgh NY to NYC

What's the best way into NYC from Stewart airport in Newburgh?
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM

Here are the options:

http://www.stewartintlairport.com/groundtrans.html
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, DebitNM. Do you know where Beacon station is in relation to the airport? I saw that the Metro North goes directly to Grand Central but I'm not sure how far this town is.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 08:23 PM

Beacon is a ways, not sure of miles or time. I only flew out of Stewart once, but I liked flying from there as they had free long term parking right near terminal. This should help:

http://www.leprechaunlines.com/commu...urghbeacon.cfm
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Anyone out there know where Beacon is?
thx!!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:03 AM
J62

Beacon train station is about 20min drive from Stewart, across the Hudson River on I-84.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:06 AM
J62

Stewart (SWF) is convenient if you live either in northern NJ, Rockland/Orange county areas of NY as it is relatively easy to get to without traffic or city navigation. It is NOT convenient for getting into Manhattan. For the cost/time/aggravation/inconvenience you are better off getting a flight into a) LGA or b) EWR., in my opinion.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

I already have my flight booked so I'm just trying to find the best way in. Didn't think it was going to be so out of the way!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Sorry - but you've picked a very inconvenient airport - both in terms of time and of money. Your choices are listed on the airport web site. There really isn;t anything else - since the airport is really designed for people in the nothern suburbs of NYC and nearby CT.

Most travelers through Stewart either drive their own cars - or use local shuttles from their town.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Well, it's not inconvenient for most people in the mid Hudson valley, but flights there tend to be more expensive than from the three major NYC airports.

Since the Port Authority of NY and NJ will be taking over Stewart soon, we can hope that there will be an improvement in cheaper flights and more convenient ground transportation options.

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:32 PM

gb944

Precisely my point. The airport is really to serve those people - not people traveling to Manhattan.

The same is true of Westchester County and Islip - airlines try to make people think they're for NYC - but they're a major pain in the butt for people going to Manhattan.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Just curious. What makes you think SWF isn't that far from NYC?

It's called Newburgh, not New York, and it's about 55 miles from Manhattan as the crow flies.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

um, sorry everyone...didn't mean to start a debate here. To elaborate on my situation, my daughter is going up to the Berkshires and I have to be in NYC so I tried to pick an airport that would be somewhat convenient to both. It's turning out to be neither. If I can somehow find a way to get to Beacon (hopefully a cab won't be too expensive) then the Metro North rail is only 90 minutes and comes on the hour. So, if anyone knows something about Beacon, feel free to chime in!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Just go look at the link DebitNM gives you. Schedule and cost are very clear. As long as you're going on weekdays.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

yes, thanks so much DebitNM. I went to the wrong link before. this is great, thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Just FYI, Westchester Airport now has a bus that links the airport to the White Plains Train Sta. I think it is called Skylink and is run by Westchester County Transp.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Yes - they do. It runs once a hour and take about 30 minutes. Then you have to wait for a train into the city. So - for total trip time you need to leave 2 to 2.5 hours.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Have a related question. Coming to the West Point area for work. After work, co-worker can either take me to Stewart to rent a car or to Newark to rent a car. I want to drive from Newark or Newburgh to about a third of the way out on Long Island. It will be Friday (in two weeks) around 4 or 5 (I know - awful timing!!) I don't want to ask him to drop me off anywhere but those two airports, but if there's an easy way to get to LGA from Highland Falls I might consider it. I've found a reasonable car rental from Stewart, returning it to LGA. (I need to fly home Saturday.) I'm leaning towards going the Newburgh route, but was curious if that would be better than other alternatives. Also, how should I drive from Newburgh to Long Island on a Friday afternoon/evening - other than with a lot of patience?! Thanks.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
J62

Newburgh airport is 15, maybe 20min from West Point - I would definitely go that route.

Timing is bad, but you can get on the NY State Thruway right near the airport, cross the Tappan Zee bridge, then navigate your way out to Long Island.

For much of the route you will be going against the afternoon traffic.

Ignoring traffic, the route is NYS Thruway across the Tapp, following the THruway (I87/Major Degan) to I-95 East, then across the Throgs Neck Bridge.

The problem is that I87 will get really tied up around the George Washington Bridge.

You'll also want to be aware if there is a home game at Yankee stadium (a bit further south on I87.

The alternative is to cut over to White Plains and take I684 south.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Not sure whay you mean by 1/3 way out on Long Island - do you mean in Queens? Or are you saying 1/3 way out into Nassau/Suffolk?

Either way you're much better off going from Stewart - Newark is hours out of your way.

Your best approach is though Westchester and south through the Bronx and onto the Throg's Neck bridge. This will mean you're going against the worst traffic much of the way and shouldn;t hit REALLY bad traffic until you get to Long Island.

I'm assuming that you will still want to head east from there - on the LIE or the Northern State - but if you want the shouth shore you should head to the the Cross Island - without knowing exactly where you're going it's impossible to say.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -