Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Transportation from Midway Airport to Homewood Suites - 40 E Grand Ave.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there easy public transportation from Midway Airport? Or should I think about a cab? I will be toting at least one suitcase.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM

I'd just take a cab. It's just easier with a suitcase. I've stayed at that Homewood Suites before. Good hotel, great location.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, kansasmom - I've been trying to decide whether to restrict what I should bring or just bring what I want - but the idea of public transportation for a couple of $ vs. a cab for about $35 makes me consider whether to try the public trans if it won't be too far from the hotel... Thanks for the comment on Homewood Suites...
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We've stayed at this hotel a couple of times, both times flying SW into Midway and taking the train from the airport to the hotel. It was so easy and definitely inexpensive compared to a taxi. The station was maybe a block, possibly two, from the hotel. We each had one rolling suitcase.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Public transit would be very easy and much cheaper than a cab. Follow the signs through MDW that say "CTA Trains to City." The rail station is through the parking garage. Take the Orange Line to Roosevelt and transfer to the Red Line toward Howard. Both the Midway Roosevelt Stations have elevators and escalators. Take the Red Line to Grand Avenue.

Grand Ave is the only place you'll have to deal with stairs. The Homewood Suites is 1 block east on Grand (toward Nordstrom). The trip will take about 45 minutes and the individual fare is $2.25.

If you'll be using public transit, a transit pass may be a good investment. Three-day passes are available at the Midway rail station for $14. They allow unlimited rides on all CTA trains and buses. One-day passes are available inside the airport for $5.75.

As an alternative to navigating the stairs at Grand Ave, you could take the Orange Line to Library. Take the escalator to street level and catch the Number 29 bus northbound. The bus stop is across on the east side of State Street in front of Robert Morse University. The bus will stop at Illinois and Wabash, one block south of Homewood Suites. For complete transit info, maps and a trip planner, check www.transitchicago.com.