Which Chicago airport ?

Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Chicago airport ?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Chicago in September. We will be flying from Sacramento, CA and can go into either O'Hare or Midway. Southwest flies into Midway and United into O'Hare. The difference is only $60 round trip for the both of us so money is not the issue. We are planning to stay around the Magnificent Mile or Navy Pier at this time. So, the question is which airport has the best public transport to these areas? I guess i do have one more question. Are these two areas the best to stay in or should we consider some other ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM

You can get to downtown Chicago by the L from either airport. I think the trip from Midway might be a little shorter than the trip from OHare. Either way, you'll be avoiding lots of traffic!
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM

And unless they've upgraded the line from OHare, I remember the train ride from Midway as much more comfortable. I'd choose Midway if the cost and convenience of flights was the same.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM

You can reach the central city from Midway via the CTA Orange Line in about 45-minutes. From ORD, it's about 45-60 via the CTA Blue Line.

Strictly speaking, the Magnificant Mile is within a block of Michigan Avenue. The neighborhood immediately east of Michigan Avenue is called Streeterville and immediately west of Michigan is River North. Some descriptions will call the whole area River North. Any hotel in that area will be a short walk from most of the sights.

You can find a hotel to fit almost any requirements and budget from HoJo's and Red Roof to the Ritz and Peninsula. Be aware that hotel rates are very sensitive to supply and demand. If you find rooms expensive, you may be searching during a large convention or other event which can bring up to 20,000 or 30,000 people into the city. If your plans are flexible, you may want to consider alternative dates.

Depending on which you choose and how much luggage you'll have you can take the Orange or Blue Line to the Red Line or a bus or walk a few blocks to your hotel. If you'll have a large amount of luggage or the weather is bad, you can also catch a cab from one of The Loop stops for only a few dollars.

If you'll be relying on public transit while you're in the city, transit passes would be a good idea. They allow unlimited rides on all CTA trains and buses. A 1-day pass is $5.75 and a 3-day pass is $14. The 3-day passes are available at vending machines in the airport rail stations. The 1-day passes are available from some airport shops, online and other stores around the city.

You can find complete transit info, a trip planner and purchase passes at www.transitchicago.com.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 01:20 PM

I have never flown to or through O'Hare, but Midway is an easy airport to navigate. I've never had any problems there, and it's an easy ride on the el to the downtown area.

We stayed once at the Hyatt Regency on East Wacker, and I really enjoyed that location - it's right between places of interest on south Michigan, like Millennium Park and the Art Institute, and the Magnificent Mile. Just a thought.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 04:35 AM

Everything else being (somewhat) equal, I'd always opt for MDW over ORD. Easy airport to navigate, usually subject to less delays, and closer to downtown. And as noted, easy to use the EL.

I'd chose Magnificant Mile over Navy Pier.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 05:11 AM

I made the trip back and forth from downtown/Mag Mile to ORD 6 times one weekend and it never took less than 60 minutes.

Go with Midway. A much more pleasant experience.