Reload this Page >

Transportation from Long Island to Manhattan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Charlene

We will be flying Southwest into Long Island and am wondering what kind of transportation is available and reasonable to get to Midtown Manhattan? Also the amount of time we should allow?

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Howard

Which airport--JFK, LaGuardia or Islip?

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Charlene

Islip

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:46 AM
m

They have all the info on their website:
http://www.macarthurairport.com/page...ortation.shtml

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Lois

Charlene, I'd take a cab to the nearest Long Island Railroad stop and take it in to Manhattan. It brings you right into Penn Station, which is at 34th between 7th and 8th Ave. I believe.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Stephq

Charlene: I agree with Lois. And I believe the nearest RR station is Ronkonkoma. Check out www.lirr.org to get schedules. The train ride is maybe 1 1/2 hrs (probably less, I'm not sure exactly since I don't travel from there)

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Sherry

My husband and I flew SWA into Islip not too long ago and it was so easy! There are shuttles that meet every SWA flight and whisk you to the Ronkonkoma station. There, we boarded the train and bought tickets on the train (this was before Sept. 11. It was not quite an hour and a half trip to Penn Station.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Steve

I live in Manhattan and tried Southwest out of Islip once. I like Southwest and their low fares, but the hassle and time to get out to MacArthur is too much unless the savings is more than say $100. It's so much easier to hop into a cab from LGA and be home in 15 minutes.

I know it defeats their business plan, but too bad Southwest and Jet Blue don't fly out of LGA.