transport from JKK to Times Square

Jan 5th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

transport from JKK to Times Square

This has probably been asked a few times and I have found some similar questions, but here goes:
1 We are travelling to New York (for a few days) from the UK en route to Hawaii end August.
2 We are staying in Times Square.
3 We are not likely to have a mobile phone or other mobile device on arrival.

Should we only consider a CAB from the airport, or, is there a convenient train service (shuttle) between JFK and Times Square and how easy is this? Could we arrange a car like Dial 7 or Carmellimo.com despite not having a mobile device?

Advice, as always, gratefully received.
Steve
Jan 5th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:54 PM

There are large airporter coaches that makes several stops in the city - one being Port Authority - which is on 42 St andnear Times Square. But, where exactly in your hotel - those saying the ar ein Times Square can be up to 10 blocks or so away.

Do NOT take the Supershuttle - which is very unreliable and often drives you around to other hotels for an hour or more on top of the time from the airport.

Ir you want a cab there is a fixed fee f $52, with bridge toll and tip (20%) the total is about $70. You can get a car service for a little - but not much - less at times but you do need a phone to call and tell them you have arrived.

I find a cab more convenient, despite the taxi line (go only to the despatcher, do not accept a ride from a random"limo") since that is usually easier than trying to connect with your car service and takes less than 5 minutes - since so many service cars pull up at once an they can only wait a few minutes for security reasons, so you often have to haul your luggage out to the parking garages.
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:55 PM

Sorry - I believe the airporter bus is $18 per person but not sure. We only do taxis unless it is business and then the company sends a limo.
Jan 5th, 2016, 07:55 PM

Here's a link for the NYC Airporter, if you're interested.
http://www.nycairporter.com/

Lee Ann
Jan 6th, 2016, 05:35 AM

"You can get a car service for a little - but not much - less at times but you do need a phone to call and tell them you have arrived."

We usually use Carmel cars and if I remember correctly, last time I went to NY with my sisters, we were told to go to the Carmel desk at the airport to get our car. I don't recall phoning. Now that may have changed but it would have to have changed recently since that visit was just last fall.

Here's the website:
https://www.carmellimo.com/

and there's always a coupon for $5 somewhere on there.
Jan 6th, 2016, 05:53 AM

Sorry, I see you already had the Carmel website. But the part about going to the desk still applies, I think.

Also, aren't there still pay phones in airports? I know everyone says there are no pay phones anymore but I've always been able to find one.
Jan 6th, 2016, 06:29 AM

You cannot get a car service without a phone unless you pay for meet-and-greet, which would make the service far more expensive than a taxi. If you want to take a taxi, take one. You're only going to save $5 or $6 by taking a car service.

The bus services let you off near the Port Authority, which is probably not far from your hotel.

It's much cheaper to take the Airtrain and Long Island Railroad into Penn Station and then a subway or taxi to your Times Square hotel.

The mode of travel you take really depends on your luggage. If you have 26-inch cases or any other giant-sized suitcases, the only reasonable thing to do is to take a taxi. It's going to be difficult to get your bags onto and off the train and very difficult to get them on the subway or even to navigate the crowds on the sidewalks in the Times Square area. I always recommend that people take a car service back to the airport from their hotel so you can guarantee your ride. Give yourself at least an hour to get back to the airport, longer if you are leaving later in the morning or afternoon.
Jan 8th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate all your effort in providing all this information, and I hope you don't think I have been wasting your time but I think (having weighed up all your suggestions) that I will go for the least complicated option: a taxi. I would have had to have had a very good argument for Mrs Lyon to buy into a different option.

Thanks again.