Train trip from Durango to Silverton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning of taking the train ride---in August. Would an open air car be too windy and would we be exposed to rain? What about cinder and soot coming in through the windows? Can we see enough in a closed car?
Would you advise returning by train or bus?
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM

I don't particurlay like the open cars for all the reasons you listed. You do, however, get better views.

I'm a train freak so I ride it in both directions each time I go there. Many people on this board have advised others that one-way is plenty and to take the bus in the other direction. I suppose it depends on how much train expereince you want to have and we can't answer that for you.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:00 AM

Agree with dwooddon. FYI - from Durango to Silverton, sit on the right side for best views; opposite on the return. Also being a train freak, we'll take open car one way and closed one back.

There was a recent thread on this very topic, so you might want to use the search function to find it for additional comments.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I am new here---what is a thread? How do I use it?
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM

A thread is exactly what we have here. It starts out with someone posting a question [you] and then people respond with answers [us]. The "thread" is the imaginary thread that connects them.

Click here to see another similar question and answers.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...e-railroad.cfm

Also, if you type Durango into the search box at the top of the page, lots of questions and answers relating to Durango [about train and other things] will show up.

I have an answer on the other "thread," the open car will allow you to see from one side to the other, but I would opt for a closed car for reasons above [soot, wind, rain].

Welcome!
Deb
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
When we took the train we were in an open car and we got covered in soot, but I'd do it again. One way was plenty for me though.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Welcome to the board!
I did the round trip and LOVED it, but I wouldn't ride in an open car. You can see plenty from the other car.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM

I agree with you that there is a problem with the air quality when you are in an open car. We were in a closed car and walked back to the open car to see how it was like. It was not good.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM

I didn't mind going both ways but my two boys were young then (6&7)and it was a little too much for them. Right side on the way up.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:54 PM

I would suggest you take the train one way and the bus on the other. We took the bus to Silverton and rode the train back to Durango. The train gives you the river view down low and the bus view is the top of the trees. We rode in the closed car and stood on the back of the caboose for certain views. Make sure you eat lunch in Silverton. The train broke down and we were 3 hours late getting back to Durango. We were starving, but it was fun!
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Do any of you know if it would be better to purchase seats ahead of time for the train ride or if you can just show up and take the train. Do you have to reserve seats to take the bus back down? Is the bus easy to find?
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 04:03 AM

If you're going during the height of the tourist season, I'd definitely purchase in advance - especially if you're on somewhat of a tight schedule and there is(are) only limited day(s) when you can take the trip.

As I recall you don't "reserve" a seat on the bus, just a ticket. The bus is near the train depot and easy to find - at least it was a few years ago.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 05:51 AM

When you buy your ticket, it will include:

1) a round trip on the train;
2) a one way train to Silverton and bus ride return to Durango

OR

3) a bus ride to Silverton and a train ride back to Durango.

If you really want to do this, I would book in advance. Summer is one of the highest tourist times here.

The bus pickup is right next to the train in the depot in Durango, lots of signs - can't miss it. If you are getting on the bus in Silverton, it will be right where you get off train. It is a tiny town, can't miss it there either.

Re: food. Think about packing a lunch if you are going to be going around mealtime. Get some great food to go from Guido's Italian Market on Main and 12th
http://www.guidosfavoritefoods.com/

or from NAtures Oasis, on 300 S. Camino Del Rio [Rt 550/160]
Durango, [kind of like, whole Foods]
http://www.shopnaturesoasis.com

or Bart's NY Deli [a little harder to find, but great sandwiches] 939 Highway 3 [it is a road that is above 550/160]

http://www.bartsnydeli.com/

Deb
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM

I wanted to add -- be sure to try and do this trip in the morning. It is now monsoon season here, which means afternoons are subject to rain, sometimes heavy with pretty dark skies which will put a damper on your views.

This is especially important to know if you plan on buying the train's open car ticket.

Be done before 2 pm to avoid getting caught in rain. Once the rain is over, things dry up quickly, the air is clean and clear and it is not humid after, like it would be back east after a summer rain.

Drink lots of water, wear sunscreen too.

Deb