Will I have sufficient time to collect my luggage travel to Terminal 1

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to Fly MIA to JFK AA 1510 Jan 15,2011 arriving Terminal 8 at 14:30 Hrs Will I have sufficient time to collect my luggage travel to Terminal 1 and check in with Lufthansa & Clear security for LH 401 to FRA departing at 16:25 Hrs?

Also would be possible to check my luggage through to my final LH destination in MIA with AA.

Thanks Frank
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 02:58 AM

relax unless delayed plenty of time

you can check your bag to your destination

only after you have cleared US customs.

Have fun!
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 03:22 AM

OP is flying from MIA to JFK - there is no customs/immigration on that leg. He/she should be able to check bags in MIA through to FRA.

So, the MIA/JFK flight is the same as a domestic flight. OP will have no difficulty getting between terminals and clearing security at JFK in the 2 hour "window" (assuming the inbound flight is relatively on-time).

Hints:
1) Once you land at JFK simply take the sky tram (aka Airtrain) between terminals - ride takes only a few minutes.

2) Before you leave home use both the AA and Lufthansa websites to check in and get your boarding pass "on-line" for both flights. It will save you lots of time. Then all you have to do is check your luggage when you get to the airport in MIA.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 03:31 AM

If y our incoming flight is on time you should be OK. If it is substantially late you may well have a problem. I have seen security lines in the late afternoon that are 45 minutes or an hour long - and if your plane is also late getting in you may have to gallop to try to get to your gate before the doors close. But, as long as this is on a single ticket - then it;s the airline's problem to find a way to get you to your destination. Just be sure you have at least one change of clothes in your carry-on.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 07:57 AM

>>

I'm curious how it saves time to print your boarding pass in advance if you have to check your luggage anyway.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 08:26 AM
J62

It saves you from having to worry about getting to the Lufthansa counter at JFK. If you have boarding pass in hand and luggage is tagged through, all you need to do is be at the gate by the time they close boarding, or about 10-15min before departure.

So in effect, it saves you that time that you can put to other use. Such as waiting at the gate....

Don't be surprised though if you are not be able to print out your LH boarding pass, especially if they've not verified your passport in person before.

This has happened to me, even though I put all my passport info into the Lufthansa system.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 08:31 AM

j62, sorry, I thought you were referring to the MIA-JFK boarding pass, not the JFK-FRA portion.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 11:36 AM

Even though you can print your boarding pass for an international flight, you still must check in. Your passport needs to be checked.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
J62

Not necessarily Susie. If your passport has previously been verified by the airline and the info is in the system, you may be able to bypass the checkin counter and go straight to the gate.

I was able to do this on my recent trip on Lufthansa.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Me too. We flew on Lufthansa this past summer. All we had to do was enter our passport info into "my profile" on their website and we printed our boarding passes at home "hours" before we left for the airport. We bypassed the check-in counter, went directly to the TSA checkpoint and on to the gate without having to show anyone our passport.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 05:41 AM

Nice to know about Lufthansa. I fly Continental exclusively and can't do it with them.