Search

Traffic to Key West

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic to Key West

We are planning to drive from Miami to Key West in April, and would like to avoid the bad traffic. Do you know if the traffic is bad on Saturdays during the day. I know it will be better early in the AM, but we aren't early risers, and plan to make some stops.
Thanks, Inor
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 11:07 AM

There's no "Rush Hour" on the road to Key West... some sections of the route are twolane and others are fourlane... it can be quite busy around holidays but the delays are more commonly associated with accidents or breakdowns... sometimes a draw bridge opening for tall boats can sit you for up to twenty minutes...

Best advice... leave when you want... take on the Key West attitude of reeeelaxxxx... stop when you want... you will get there eventually.... its worth it.... there's a cold one waiting at the end of the road.... have fun!!!
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, can you tell me how long is the drive, and do you recommend any places to stop along the way.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 04:30 PM

It is about a two to three hour drive depending on the traffic. We don't usually stop on the way because we also want to get there. We do enjoy the ride though. We have stopped at Lorelei's in Islamorada for their coconut shrimp, and were not disappointed. There is a big mermaid sign on US 1, that shows were the restaurant is.

I know other people have recommended places off the beaten track, but I can't remember any of them.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 04:47 PM

Garyt's got the right idea. Direct drive from Miami would be 4-6 hours. But I generally take 3 or 4 days. Time changes when you get south of Homestead.

There's a zillion places to stop. First place I'd recommend is Alabama Jack's, on Card Sound Road. The entrance to the road is to the left, just south of Florida City.

Other stops are John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo.

About Mile Marker 95, there's the Wild Bird Sanctuary on the right. Sombrero Beach--a great little-known beach in Marathon. Pigeon Key, at the 7-Mile Bridge. Bahia Honda State Park is at MM 37--a "must-stop" on your way.

There's a lot of other places, to eat, drink and sleep. If you've got the time....
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 04:02 AM

Islamorada has an Outdoor Sportsman store and the Islamorada Seafood company... we usually potty stop there... and there's always a quirky shop or seafood shack that might catch our eye...
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:01 AM

There's no way in the world you can get from Miami to Key West in 2 or 3 hours. We've driven that route any number of times and it's always taken us 4 hours. Most of the highway is 2 lanes, and the lower keys have reduced speed limits to protect key deer.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:27 AM

SusanCS... According to Mapquest, you could reach Key West in 3 hours... from the Airport its about 150 miles so I would not agree that "There's no way in the world"...

But why would you want to rush anyway?
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 05:28 PM

OK - so last month we did the drive (I do it once every 10 years). We were moving along at a pace to put is in a KW bar in just over 3 hours.... and then it happened - a fire truck in front of me stopped, turned and blocked the bridge I was on .... are you ready for this..... lifestar then landed and an ambulance from behind came up and a "patient" hopped off the gurney and got on the helicopter... an hour later we were moving.... I though the idea of lifestar using the bridge as a place to land to pick up folks from the outer keys was cool - just not sure about that patient..... point is - time does change south of Homestead!
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 01:38 AM

I make this drive frequently. Mapquest may be right in theory, but something always happens. If you are planning to make stops anyway, the six hour number better be your plan.

If you are trying to hurry and make a schedule, you could be the hazard. It's a dangerous road with lots of poor drivers. Speed enforcement is always present and sometimes extensive. It's honestly tough to get up to the speed limit.

If you decide on the stop and smell the tarpon plan, be sure and stop at Robbies, just west across Indian Channel from Islamorada. The Lorelei in Islamorada is my favorite tiki bar lunch. Lazy Days in Islamorada is my favorite great food lunch. Have fun!