Search

Drive to Key West

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:41 PM
xxx

Drive to Key West

We are thinking about driving from St. Pete to Key West in December. We heard it's about 8 hours. Any interesting places to stop? Attractions or Restaurants on US1?
Thanks

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Nicole

Unless you really want to hit stop and go traffic, I would suggest not picking up US1 until you get to Homestead. US1 through Miami is a nightmare of traffic and traffic lights at the best of times. Take US1 through Miami and South Miami and you can add another hour onto your drive. From Key Largo, the first key, to Key West is a good 3 hour drive, not counting stops. The overseas highway is mostly two-lanes so any accidents can tie up the road too. Don't try to drive there and back in one day. (At least, that's my advice)

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Nancy

We ate at a restaurant called Michaels in Marathon Key. One of the best meals we ever had. It was about 7 years ago, not sure if it is still there, but I would definitely check it out. Extensive wine cellar and the best clam chowder, shrimp cocktail (the shrimp were huge, so tender and sweet) and grilled tuna we ever had. If you plan to go, make a reservation. People come as far as Key West to dine there.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Richard

Nicole is right, I'd even add more time to the US 1 route...the traffic is horrific any time of the day. But in total it might be less than 8 hours without traffic. Definately travel off hours. If your going on a long weekend DONT!

If you coming from St Petes you'll want to take Alligator Alley then exit south on I75. Take I75 until you come to the Turnpike just south of Marimar and exit on the Florida Turnpike south.

The tolls are $1 for 3 or 4 tolls from there until Florida City. The pike is the best way, but whatever you do AVOID all road in Miami including the pike from 3:00pm - 8:00pm

The US 1 to the keys I don't think is so interesting a drive, you don't see a lot until you get to the lower keys.

Restaurant even the dumpy looking ones along the way are expensive. I used to know a really good one down by Cudjoe Key on the right hand side heading south, but just can't remember the name, it was a local favorite.

Make sure you have reservations for a hotel!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:11 PM
RM

Well on the same note, we are driving to the Keys from Pensacola. We leave this Sunday. I was going to take 75 to US1 but now am having second thoughts.

What would be the quickest route to the Keys from Pensacola.

Thanks, RM

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Richard

Same deal..just farther away.

I10 to I75 south, then take the turnpike just past Ocala, all the way babe!

Unless you WANT to go through Tampa, Sarasota, Alligator Alley. It will add another 1 - 2 hours, but it is a more scenic route, espcially over the bridge in St Petes.

If you go that way, try to avoid rush hour in the Naples area, traffic is BAD.

Restaurants are good in Sarasota. But if you just want to get to the keys go the Turnpike.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Nicole

I second Richard's advice. Take the turnpike unless you really want to add some time to get to the Keys. I'm all for taking the scenic roads if you have no real destination in mind and no timetable. I will add that Alligator Alley is not a bad option but I regularly take that route back to Ft. Lauderdale from Naples and I can tell you, if there's a decent accident on that road, you can sit in traffic for quite a while in the sun waiting for it to clear. (But I take that road a lot more often than most tourists so I might have the law of averages working against me.)

Richard's also right about most of the restaurants along the way. We have a habit of throwing a cooler in the back (not in the trunk!) and stopping at little pull-offs along the way and dipping our feet in the water and eating a picnic. One word of advice about eating in Key West, avoid Margaritaville. It's a total tourist trap and pricey to boot. There's a restaurant in the old Bahamian area of Key West. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's called the Blue Rooster...Funky and good food....Forgive me, it's too early in the morning for my brain to function correctly. I'll doublecheck on the name of the place...

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Max

Its called Blue Heaven.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Nicole

Thank you Max. I didn't have enough caffiene when I posted. All I could remember was that the rooster in the yard was pecking at my friend's feet!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Richard

Hey,

All good advice above. Margaritaville is a total tourist trap, and even the Margaritas are so so. But last time I was there they had a GREAT Raggae band, if your into that.

Also Sloppy Joe's has the best Margaritas, total tourist joint though, good grief last time I was there I think I put on 7 pounds and it was all from drinking!

The pier (can't remember the name) at the end of Duval is the best place to watch the sunset while having a drink.

Also, if you were walking South on Duval, about half way up on the right hand side is an Italian restaurant. It is the older one with the oak floors. I had a very good Italian meal there on several occasions.

Near the southern most point is another famous restaurant, can't remember the name, it is expensive and a lot of the famous Miami chefs have trained there ie. Chef Allen, Chef Norman...and it is very romantic, but it is pricy...sorry cant remember the name. They serve kind of carribean fusion type food. Probably the nicest restaurant in Key west.

I'm not sure how old you are but if your young or young at heart, the best dance club is the big club up by the theater.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 01:21 PM
xxx

Thanks so much for all the info. I can't wait until our trip.

Anyone know how the weather is in December?

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Richard

Probably the most unpredictable month of all, especially central florida.

In the Keys, it will be the warmest.

Check Weather Now for averages

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:25 PM
funta

Pier House is what Richard was referring to and Louie's Backyard is a better place to visit for sunset, romance and cocktails.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:34 PM
richard

What about the Italian rest. anyone rember the name??

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:41 PM
fuinta

The best Italian restaurant is Mangia Mangia on Southard St. You are probably referring to Antonia's, very upscale and dosn't compare to Mangia Mangia IMHO.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:10 PM
jersey

We ate at a great restaurant in Marathon.(about halfway thru the keys). It was call the Beach Colony Inn. Delicious fresh food,casual dress,& reasonably priced. About a half hour wait in May to be seated( may not be as crowded now?), & we went back for 2 other dinners. I think you'll like it. It took us 4 hours to get to Key West with the slow speed limits & traffic through the keys on US route 1. But, enjoy the view. The coast is so beautiful & so is the many colors of the the water.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:16 PM
AL & JENNY

We just came back from a great trip to the Keys .. drove with a rental car from Miami airport to Key West in one afternoon... it's a 4 hour or so drive...but if you have nothing to do and all day to do it who cares ... on the way back we booked a night in Tavenier ... we stopped for lunch at the Isamadora fish company ...SUPER PLACE TO EAT !!! FORGIVE MY SPELLING ... We also enjoyed SNAPPERS for dinner just up US rt. 1 ..loved the fresh deep fried oysters...

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:20 PM
jersey

Try going to chowhound.com and post a question about restaurant suggestions. It's a great site for food inquiries around the United States. I think you will like the message boards there!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:43 PM
susan

Richard - the place you recommend for watching the sunset is the pier at the Ocean Key House and I absolutely agree with you! They have live entertainment, good drinks, a great location, and pretty good snack food, too. I think the Italian restaurant you're thinking of is La Trattoria, if it's the one on the right walking up Duval toward the south. There's also an excellent Italian restaurant on the left, Antonia's, which is nearby.

I'm a little stumped by the fine food restaurant you mention. Louie's Backyard has been well-known in Key West for a very long time but has received spotty recommendations in recent years. It's on Waddell (the Atlantic side) and has absolutely the prettiest setting of any restaurant in Key West, but the food isn't always great. Another possibility is Cafe des Artistes in the 10th block of Simonton. It's currently being renovated but it has fabulous food.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Susan

You are absolutely right!

It is La Trattoria! I have had several good meals there, I was so surprised to ahve decent Italian food in Key West.

As for Louie's backyard, I could not agree with you more.

It is really romantic but food is so so. I would still recommend going there, but don't spend a lot otherwise you will hate yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -