Reload this Page >

Touring DC with Older Teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Irene

I am planning a trip to DC over spring break with two seniors in high school (a girl and boy)--my daughter and her boyfriend (am I brave or stupid!!). We're going to stay at an Embassey Suites or something with 2 rooms (boys--dad and boyfriend and girls----daughter and mom together!) First, any recommendations on a hotel like that?? and then I'm looking for things they would enjoy--some things we (my husband and I) could do with them and maybe some things they might do alone. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 02:34 AM
sss

Irene,

It would be helpful if you include something about the kids' and your interests. It's a big city and there is plenty to do.

History ? (Smithsonian, Spy Museum, Holocaust Museum, memorials, much more)

Art? (National Galleries, Freer, Corcoran, Phillips)

Shopping? (Tysons, Pentagon City, White Flint, Georgetown)

Sports? (Georgetown, Maryland and others for college, MCI Center for pros)

Theatre (Kennedy Center, National Theatre, Arena and lots of small theaters)

Seems to me that your itinerary and budget would dictate where you actually stay. There are suites type hotels all over the DC Metro area.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 03:14 AM
gail

washingtondchotels.com gives rates, vacancies and descriptions of many hotels.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:13 AM
zootsi

We stayed at the Embassy Suites last month, got a great deal there on Hotwire. This hotel is located just off Dupont Circle, in a vibrant, upscale neighborhood. There is so much to do in DC it will be overwelming. Of course the Smithsonian museums on the mall would be the best place to start. The Natural History, and American History musueums will appeal to everyone. As for places for dinner, here are some ideas that will appeal to teens:
The Luna Grill, Dupont Circle - A popular college age eatery with a very eclectic menu at reasonable prices. Monday is half price pasta night.
The Flattop Grill, near the National Cathedral - A make your own Asian food place, in a comfortable casual setting. Lots of fun!
Pizza Paradisio, Dupont Circle - The 'in' place to go for great pizza. Very popular, so be prepared to wait in line.
Shanghi Grill, near Dupont Cricle - Another Asian place, very good food, inexpensive, and popular with the college crowd. Turns into a dance club around 10:00.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:45 AM
nnn

Embassy Suites is the perfect place for you.
Please do not miss the Holocaust Museum. Very moving, disturbing and worth a visit. Tickets can be gotten to the musuem over internet. they are free and are on a timed visit.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Mike

Be aware that there is an Embassy Suites and an Embassy Square Suites, about four blocks from each other. Embassy Square is closer to the DuPont Circle Metro while Embassy Suites is in a neighborhood known as the West End and, while close to DuPont, is not exactly in the Circle neighborhood.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Ann

There's a great club for live music, the 9:30 Club, that your daughter and her boyfriend can get into. There's no age limit for admission (or it may be 18, have to check their website), and they are VERY strict about underage drinking. I had a 27-year-old friend kicked out of there once--he forgot his ID, so they stamped his hand as under-21. A friend bought him a beer, so they both got booted. It's in the U Street corridor neighborhood.

You could also try the Kennedy Center. They could go to Shear Madness while you attend another performance.

For food in Dupont Circle, try Kramerbooks and Afterwords in Dupont Circle. Luna Grill is good. Also try Two Amys and the Brickskellar. Breakfast at Teasim is very very good, but there's not much seating.

Make sure you go to the rooftop bar at the Hotel Washington. Don't eat there--bad food, bad prices--but just have a drink of some sort and enjoy the wonderful views.

As for shopping, stick to Georgetown. The malls mentioned in a previous post are in the suburbs and just like every other mall in every other suburb in the country. Old Town Alexandria is a good place to shop, too. Yes, out in the burbs, but a great place on its own.

For food in Old Town Alexandria, Lex (formerly Cajun Bangkok), Majestic Cafe, Santa Fe East (just off King Street-can't think of the street), Union Street. The Fish Market is fun, upstairs in the piano lounge. The food is so-so, but a good atmosphere on the weekends. Some people like Gadsby Tavern. I think it's a bit too touristy, but after all you are tourists.