DC for a few hours, help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave in a few days for a night in DC for a college visit. I'll arrive at Union Station shortly before eleven and will meet up with my mom (who is down there for business) early that afternoon, around 3ish. I'm trying to decide what to do in that time... I'm looking to not go far away from Union Station, maybe near Capitol Hill or the area around the National Archives. I was thinking about going to the Library of Congress for a Thomas Jefferson exhibit but I'm not sure... I've been to DC many times before, so I've seen the monuments, the Capitol, the Mall, the Smithsonian, etc. and I know how to use the Metro like the back of my hand if you suggest somewhere further away, so don't worry too much about that. Are the National Archives interesting? I've become very interested in government and slightly more interested in history (my family has a strange love for Thomas Jefferson...). I'm not looking to spend a ton on admission, etc., but would if it was worth it. Also, any suggestions for places to grab a bite to eat near somewhere you're suggesting? Sorry I'm rambling... Any ideas would be great, thanks so much in advance!
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Archives are very interesting. If it is crowded, it will take up a good chunk of your time. Lots of places to eat as you head towards the convention center.

I know it is not close, but Arlington can be a great visit for a few hours and easy by subway.

MY
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM

I would go to the Libary of Congress
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you haven't been to the National Portrait Gallery and the Museum of American Art (one metro stop away on the red line) since they reopened, that is well worth a visit. As already noted there are quite a few restaurants in the chinatown/gallery place area (ncluding Nando's Peri Peri, cheap and good) Archives are great as is the Library of Congress. You could walk across the street from Union Sta to the Postal Museum. Lots of choices!
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! I've been to Arlington before and loved it, but have been considering revisiting since Ted Kennedy's passing... I wish I had more time in DC [:
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM

Newseum if you haven't been there. It's on Penn. Ave and a short walk from Union Station. Union Station itself has a lot of places to eat. There's also an upscale pub right across the street in the building with the Postal Museum.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Agree that the Newseum is great -- admission is $20.