first time to DC ...help!!

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first time to DC ...help!!

Our family is planning a trip this spring or summer. How much does it cost for the typical tourist attractions? Like the war memorials, arlington, museums and the like. I can't find any info on this.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Smithsonian museums, momuments, Arlington Cemetery, Libarary of Congress and many more places in DC have no admission charges. Your tax dollars hard at work

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 06:19 PM

The great thing about Washington DC is that so many of the sites are free (including all of those that you mention). Washington CAN be expensive in terms of meals and rooms, but there are reasonably-priced places to stay and there are places to eat that don't cost a fortune, too. A little research goes a long way. It's a great choice for a family trip; very memorable and worthwhile.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 03:48 AM
jw

We were in DC last week. The monuments and memorials are free. The Holocaust Museum was free as well. One museum we did have to pay for was the International Spy museum. It was $13 for adults (not sure what the admission for kids is). Going in the fall we didn't have too many lines to deal with. Spring or summer will be a different story, though.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:26 AM
LN

Hi

You might consider calling your senator or congressman's office and getting a White House tour as they are being given again. You could also request a tour of Congress and that same office can give that too. Both tours are great - if you're in town while Congress is in session your family can sit in the gallery and wsatch your congress at work.

The National Zoo is another favorite of families, along with the National Aquarium (located in the Commerce Dept). Certain museum that are not part of the federal system do charge admission. The Metro system (subway and bus) is great and with the help of Priceline or other discounted hotels.

If there is any hotel advice I would give it would be to try to stay in the city. It makes your sightseeing much easier and there are many hotels in Dupont circle to the downtown Mall area that offer specials.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 07:13 AM
E

It was in our Sunday newspaper that although the White House tours are being given again, now you can only get tix (free) from your congressman or senator, 6 months in advance. (You used to be able to wait in line for tix at an office nearby.)So act now!
Publicly-funded stuff like monuments and memorials (which belong to the Park Service, btw), Arlington Cemetery, and all the Smithsonian Institution museums (Air & Space, Natural History, American History, Nat'l. Gallery of Art, there are a dozen others)--all that is free.
Have a great trip!
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Ask and ye shall receive. What a wealth of information you have all provided. Many thanks!!
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Doh

The National Zoo is, sadly, not that great a zoo (but even a so-so zoo may be a good trip for a family). The "National Aquarium" is, IMO, an embarrassment (at least last time I went), but it doesn't take a large investment of time or money to see it.

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 12:13 PM
E

Thanks for reminding me, Doh--I was going to say the same thing about the National Aquarium, i.e., SKIP IT! We could argue about the National Zoo--I like it fine--but the Nat'l Aquarium is truly pitiful. It's only plus is that no one knows it's there, so it's never crowded...