Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tour for Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a tour and/or tour group that would show us the sights of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Walk of Fame all in one tour for a day? We would be taking the tour from a hotel in the area. Thanks for the input!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:49 AM

Although I haven't taken this tour personally, Gray Line <http://tinyurl.com/2k3y5j> is always a reliable option. If you are an AAA member, they take 10% off.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:16 AM

Check out redlinetours.com they do a GREAT job!!

Denice
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:16 AM
lvk

Other options:
www.starlinetours.com
www.viptoursandcharters.com
www.redlinetours.com

Sorry, I have no experience with any of this, but you might find some info on this board if you do a search.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:19 AM

We did the Grayline tour of Hollywood a couple of years ago and it was really good...I would recommend them. You can book online or we just booked through the hotel we were staying at in Anaheim. They picked us up at our hotel, took us to the main depot where we switched buses and they dropped us off after the tour.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the info! In the tour of Hollywood, do they also do the Beverly Hills area?
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:32 AM

They drove through Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive but didn't stop...apparently the large buses aren't allowed to stop there.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:29 AM

I believe Redline does a combo tour with Starline tours ... so it would include Hollywood and BH ... check out their website ...redlinetours.com . I'm a local, born here, and took a group (full of locals) on the Hollywood Redline tour, and everyone loved it!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:50 AM

My brother and i did the Grayline tour about 3 or 4 years ago. He lives in San Diego, but had never done the tourist "tour" in the Hollywood area. He liked not having to drive and sightsee. We then went back to a few places to spend more time - but it was great for hitting all of the main areas.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM

I was in LA at a conference this week and had an extra half day before returning home and looked for a tour at the last minute. I couldn't find much on this board except for the studio tours that lasted too long/wrong time for me to catch my flight.

I signed up for the Starline 2-hour tour of Star Homes (what Redline Tours above actually uses) with hotel pick up/drop off. It was TERRIBLE!

There are two parts to the experience--the pick up/drop off and the actual tour. The pick up was only 5 minutes late after the 8:05-8:15 window I was given with another stop enroute, arriving at the office at 9:00am. We stood in line (one computer not working) as they exchanged vouchers for tickets, people paid for tours etc. and were told we would be on our way at 9:15am. At 9:15am we were told everyone would leave at 9:30am as the shuttle to Universal pulled out of the lot. By 9:30am most people were on some shuttle or bus and we ours left the lot at 9:45am, knowing we had to be back before 11:30am so some people could catch their next tour--so much for 2 hours. The return was just as chaotic. We were told to check at the office for our hotel shuttle to ensure we did not miss it. We were told we would leave the parking lot at 12:00 noon to return to our hotels. By 12:15pm everyone was put on a shuttle and 1.25 hours later I was back at hotel. The city bus would have gotten me there in less time.

As for the tour itself, we took 15 minutes to circle the block and look at those buildings, then left the block at 10:00am. The actual sights were fine--restaurant used in American Graffiti, houses used in films, houses where various stars lived or still lived. The tour guide/driver used a hand held microphone, so he only had one hand on the wheel at most at any time. He talked incessantly, listing names of stars we might see (except for those who were dead), those he had seen or heard of, etc. No relationship to what we were seeing at all and actually rather irritating.

This tour was a real waste of $40 (including pickup booked online). I felt sorry for the family of 4 from the UK who were equally disappointed but had paid 4 times what I had.

I had friends who used the same company to go to Universal and haven't heard their experience. But I think for them Starline just provided transport, no real tour. I will post when I hear their experience.