COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Toronoto, Niagara or Quebec City?

Old May 15th, 1997, 08:49 AM
Connie McGinnis

Toronoto, Niagara or Quebec City?

My husband and I visited Montreal last summer and absolutely LOVED it! What a great city! We are wanting to explore more of Canada and are wondering if we would be disappointed with Toronoto or Quebec City or even Niagara Falls. Any suggestions of what you liked or disliked or great places to stay would be appreciated. These are the 3 spots we are looking at right now.

Old May 15th, 1997, 02:14 PM
Judi

We live in Toronto, and we've always said that it's too bad that we live here because it would be a terrific place to visit! What's particularly great about Toronto is that we have so many distince ethinic neighbourhoods that it's like visiting several countries. Greece, Italy, Portugal, Vietnam, China, Poland..... the list goes on! As well we have a very sophisticated dining scene as well as some terrific eclectic areas where you can walk and shop and explore, such as Queen Street West, Harbourfront, Bloor West Village, Kensington Market, Chinatown, etc. etc. In the spring, fall and summer, a wonderful thing to do is to take the 15 minute ferry ride across the lake to Centre Island - a park land oasis right across from the downtown skyline. As for Niagara - you don't need to make the choice! Niagara Falls is a 1.5 hour drive from Toronto, and you can also visit Niagara on the Lake, a picturesque victorian town who's turn of the century atmoshphere has been beautifully preserved. We have a fantastic theme park called Canada's Wonderland - a pay one price passport type of place with the most awsome rides! You will NEVER be disappointed that you chose to come to Toronto. I'll be happy to recommend hotels and restaurants.

Judi in Toronto

Old May 15th, 1997, 05:08 PM
sharon

I would pick Toronto above all, it's such a vibrant city with a rich cultural diversity and so much to do. It has almost as many theatres with first run plays as NYC or London, and the exchange makes them much more affordable. We used to weekend there frequently when we lived in the sad city of Detroit.We always tried to stay close to downtown. The Four Seasons has a wonderful hotel nr. Bloor a major cross street and near museums, great restaurants and world class shopping. This is a very sophisticated area. If you have kids in tow stay at the Four Seasons Inn on the Park which is out but near the fabulous Edwards Gardens and the Ontario Science Museum. We always loved the madness of Queen St. at night with the clubs and ethnic restaurants. Bamboo (a dance & night club)made this middle aged couple feel very alive.

Old May 16th, 1997, 09:04 PM
Steve Taylor

My wife and I spent a week in Quebec City over
Christmas '95. The city is very beautiful and, of
course, very European. French is the primary
language, but English is also spoken. If you like
fine dining, you won't be disappointed - there are
tons of great restaurants here. Stay at the Chateau
Frontenac, the most enchanting building in the city,
if not in all of North America. The surrounding
countyside is very beautiful too. Visit ll'l d Orleans
(spelling?), an island in the St. Lawence river only
20 minutes away. Very picturesque - rural with
fresh vegetables/strawberries for sale.
Lower town Quebec is very quaint, a little touristy
but isn't everything that's nice?
Good luck and have a great time.

Old May 22nd, 1997, 01:58 PM
Paul

Toronto is the best city in the world.How could you miss that?! There is so many things to see,so many different kinds of food to eat,plus on the such low cost,What else can you ask for?
Quebec city is just like "Paris in Canada".I love this city as much as I love Paris. Go Both!!!

Old May 23rd, 1997, 07:28 AM
Maiga

Quebec City is a wonderful city. Stay in The Chateau Frontenac Hotel and dine in a restaurant calledLe Saint Amour.

Old May 23rd, 1997, 01:15 PM
Todd Golding

If you are in for a hectic vacation spot look no further than Naigara Falls (If you look to long it will hurt your eyes though - too many lights). If you want something a little less exciting Niagara-On-The-Lake is only a few miles from Niagara Falls and is a great place to relax, enjoy some fine dining, do a little shopping (without the big malls to get confused in), or take in a play (the Shaw Festival is located on the main street), this is the place to be. As an added bonus there are many wineries within 30 minutes drive of the village. Some of the places that I have visited and thought highly of are, for inns: The Pillar and Post, The Queen's Landing, The Oban Inn - these three also have very good dinners (although prices for everything around are little high, the quality and service is very good). As for the wineries: Chateau Des Charmes is by far the most beautiful winery around, but there are many others which have great wines and friendly workers. Some of the others are Konzelmann, Reif Estates, Inniskillen and and Marynissen. See you there.

Old May 30th, 1997, 01:01 PM
Geneviève

I live in Québec city. I think it's a wonderful city. Go spend at least one day on Terrasse Duffrin. This summer (in August) we will have festivities in Old Québec of when the first persons came in Québec (Nouvelle-France). If you have any questions, just e-mail me! Have a wonderful trip!!