Reload this Page >

Top 5 Big Island Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Stu

I really like the idea of this thread since we'll be in Hawaii 2 weeks from tomorrow. No one started one of these in regard to the Big Island so I thought I would since I've never been.

What are the top 5 restaurants on the Big Island?

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:44 AM
John R.

DANIEL THIEBAUT
65-1259 Kawaihae Rd., Waimea, HI, USA
Phone: 808/887-2200
My wife and I stumbled on this place on the way back to Kilua-Kona from the summit of Mauna Kea. We actually drove by, debated and then came back. We were certainly glad we did... excellent food, nice staff and surroundings... what more could you ask for?

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:12 PM
michele

I enjoyed the Edelweiss for dinner. Great game...cozy lodge

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:17 PM
joy

At King's Shops at Waikoloa, the Big Island Steak House is great - food is delicious, service is quick, and a very happy atmosphere. Also, Roy's at Waikoloa is excellent.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Stu

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I have a folder that I'm creating with all the places to go and where to eat.

I keep hearing about this chain called Roy's (at least I think it's a chain). What type of restaurant is it and what type of food do they serve?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Stu

Topping.........

Any other suggestons please...........

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Gerri

Aloha Stu,

Best Big Island Restaurants in no particular order...

Four Seasons - (325-8000) this is where we spent our anniversary this
year. We had a table that was almost on the beach with candles and a beautiful sunset.

The Canoe House at Mauna Lani - (885-6622) - top rated. One of the
best in Hawaii.

Merriman's - (885-6822) Very special. Amazing, award winning chef.

Roy's - famous worldwide.

My personal favorite is the Mauna Kea Buffet on Saturday night...not to be missed if you love lobster.

Enjoy!!!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Stu

Gerri...

I take it the Mauna Kea is at the hotel or is by any chance a restaurant with the same name as the hotel?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Julie

We had a wonderful dinner at Edward's at Kanaloa.

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:38 AM
Gerri

Aloha Stu,

Mauna Kea is the Hotel not the restaurant name. This buffet serves- shrimp, oysters, clams, sashimi, crab legs, mussels, lobsters, fish right on the beach. I frequently recommend it because the variety and location are wonderful!

Re: your other question about Roy's. It serves really inventive Hawaiian Fusion cuisine. Check out their website at: http://www.roysrestaurant.com/index

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:42 AM
Jammie

Is the Mauna Kea buffet the "Clambake" I see referred to? Is it on the beach? How much does it cost? We are going to the BI in November. I was thinking about the Royal Kona Luau but now I'm leaning towards the Mauna Kea buffet. How far in advance should we make reservations?

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:58 AM
John

The Canoe House is astonishingly romantic - floodlit waves, superb food, really something.

Merriman's is a fabulous restaurant - it would probably get a Michelin star in Paris.

Then there's Sam Choy's diner in the industrial park between Kona and the airport. Major addiction time.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:05 PM
Gerri

Aloha Jammie,

Yes it is referred to as the "Clambake" and for the life of me I can't image why - since it's not like any clambake I've ever been to! Last time I checked it was about $72pp.

It's very different from a luau though. If you do choose to go, I'd recommend the Kona Village Resort Luau over any other in the state. It's private, great location and some of the best authentic Polynesian entertainment I'll see.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:07 PM
Shel

The Parker Ranch Grill is a great restaurant, though it was closed for renovations last time we were there. It's in Waimea (or is that Wailea? the town NE of the Kohala coast). Great coconut shrimp appetizer.

We like going to plate lunch places for casual breakfasts and lunches.

Kamuela Provisions Company at the Hilton Waikoloa was great and very romantic if you get an outdoor seat. Reservations a must.

Have a great trip! I am jealous.

Shelly

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:54 PM
jaj

The clambake is $72? I will be visiting the BI in December and was thinking of doing the buffet. Since I'm from Seattle and have access to this kind of food, is it worth my money? Or should I spend my money on a luau instead?