Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to fly into Montana form the East Coast?

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:15 PM
Jessica

Want to go for Memorial Day weekend. I know I am pushing it here but I am willing to give up some time to travel coming back, departing for Montana on Friday evening

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:57 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Of the cities with enough air service to provide you with an opportunity for a reasonable fare, I would choose Missoula first. It's a beautiful drive up to Glacier National Park and I find it to be a little nicer city to visit than Billings, (which I'm guessing would also have the best chance of a decent airfare.) That said, if your thought is to go down into Yellowstone, then Billings is your pick. Montana is a huge state -- a LONG day's drive from end to end on the interstate -- so where you want to end up has a huge impact on where you want to fly in. Lastly, (and if you're not all that picky about where in Montana you are going), I would run searches on airport codes for some of the smaller airports with commercial service too -- Butte, Bozeman, Kalispell, Great Falls, Helena. You just never know when some kind of fluke is going to show up in the fare schedules that will net you a steal!

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:12 PM
Jessica

ever go out there for a weekend Jim. Just dying to see the Northern Lights and that gorgeous wide open space with glaciers in the back drop.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:21 PM
Rhm

My family flew into Bozeman in December to snowmobile. It is about a 1 hour +/- drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone. You drive through the Gallatin National Forest to get to Yellowstone and it is very panoramic.

Montana is a beautiful state. I too am on the east coast and enjoy Montana so much I've made the trip four times. If there's any way you can make the trip you should do it.

RHM

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:30 PM
kkj

Where do you want to go in Montana? It's a big state and where you want to go will dictate where you need to fly into.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:33 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Yes, I have. But you might find that you have a better shot at glaciers and the Northern Lights by flying into Calgary and heading up to Banff and Jasper National Parks -- so don't rule out that option. Remember too, that the Northern Lights are a very "iffy" thing -- there are just no guarantees of a display. The farther north you go, the more annual displays you will encounter.

In Montana, your best option would be to go to Glacier Park -- but perhaps you should call ahead to see about the road status there. I recall being out in mid-June and the "Going to the Sun Highway" was still closed, as they attempted to blast 12 feet of snow off for that roadway's short, three-month season!

If you happen to take a flight that will be taking place during some hours of darkness, choose the correct side of the plane for your seat -- depending which way you are headed. You want the right side on the way west and the left on the way east. That way, you can look out the windows to the north. I got a big payoff by choosing a window seat on the left side of the plane on a recent flight to Europe and was treated to a spectacular Northern Lights display -- one of the advantages of being on a far northern flight path and being well above any potential clouds.

Good luck and Happy Contrails!

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:34 PM
Jill

I answered your other post before seeing this one. I flew into Spokane. Another thing to check out before deciding which airport is the cost of a rental car. When I was checking the cost of the rental car in Billings was more than double over the price from Spokane.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:27 AM
connie

Be sure to check out Bozeman. It is my favorite town in Mt. and close to Yellowstone and about the same distance to Glacier as from Missoula.
We too got a great rate to go snowmobiling in Yellowstone. I have checked out the rates there for years and couldn't believe how low they had gotten.

Usually Salt Lake City is the cheapest around and isn't all that far a drive.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:44 AM
city gal

I know this has nothing to do with query posted, but when I saw Montana, I was thinking about the 3-part series called "Frontier House" that was recently broadcast on PBS station. It was a fascinating look on what it must have been like to live in Montana on the frontier during 1883. Makes you appreciate today's modern amenities.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:48 AM
xx

Yeah but the TN mom was a brat. Poor boy had all his animals killed for food and while it's necessary, did she have to be so harsh? It's not like that's how the boy grew up.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:34 PM
Karen

Karen got on my nerves in the second segment last night I felt sorry for her as she came to terms with the end of her marriage and her loneliness.

Thought her husband was pretty much and over grown college kid. Did you see the giant beer mug on his door? And please leaving a job at 46 to do a 5-month PBS project not very forward thinking.

Cloon husband was equally stupid and competitive. Who would ever leave two 15 year olds outdoors in the Montana wilderness??? I don’t know that area at all but I thought bears IMMEDIATELY when they should there girls camping in their own homemade structure. You had to feel sorry for his whisper of a wife as well. Did you see how she kept from giving a reaction when assessment letter was read. God forbid she should have an original thought.

That said, they all made themselves vulnerable to the camera's eye. We all have shortcomings our families and friends see. If a camera was around how good we come up?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:42 PM
xx

I taped it so I really have only had time to watch the last hour. The Malibu dad seems so competitive that it was whistfully sad. What's with the house? So over the top in size. I felt sorry for the kids in both homes they now seem lonely and bored (the TN ones because dad has moved into an apt decorated with beer posters and the Malibu ones because they live in a house that does not engender family togetherness - how many hours does dad put in to afford that place in Malibu?)

I believe Montana is a beautiful destination for a getaway or long vacation. It seems so pure up there. Do you locals agree?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:08 PM
Karen

I think I feel sorry for both families. The dad in the Cloon family is the CEO of an aerospace defense firm. He employs hundreds of people manufacturing missle launchers and the like.

What is very funny about him if you ever worked in finance. Is that he bullshits the same many CEO's do at Earnings Release briefings. Was a crack up to me. Did you see when Logan talked about discovering imagination without his video games. Think they were showing the kids missing the wilderness experience. That guy was not their real dad. Guess that girl did not get that snowball after all.

The entire series is on again on Saturday at 3 in NYC. I would go to PBS.org to see when it is on in your area.