Too much for 1 day? raft Browns, Great Sands, Durango

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting from Buena Vista on the second day of my family's Colorado trip...we are planning to do a Brown's half-day rafting trip & I could use some recommendations on which outfitter to use. What I'm also wondering is will we have time afterwards to grab lunch, head to see the Great Sand Dunes, then drive on to our next destination which is Durango?
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 06:12 AM

I think the answer is yes, unless you really want to push it. Isn't it like 3 hours from White Sands to Durango? And how far is it from Browns Canyon to WS?

Also a 1/2 day raft may not be exactly 1/2 day.

Last summer we stayed in Salida and used Independent Whitewater. It was a good experience (the company, Salida wasn't particularly interesting). Other companies may be closer to BV.

Check your time on how long a 1/2 day trip really is. Note, too, that you'll be tired, hungry and dirty afterwards.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 08:34 AM

I agree with bitter--that would be a lot to do in one day. It is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from the Buena Vista area to Great Sand Dunes and then about 3 hours on to Durango.

We have used River Runners in the past several times and were pleased with them http://whitewater.net/rafting-buena-vista-colorado/

When we did half day trips, it was closer to 1 pm when we were back to our car--so do check on that as bitter advised.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 09:54 AM

Don't know what month you are headed to Great Sand Dunes, but the sand is the hottest in the afternoon. Personally, we spent the night at GSD. We did Zapata Falls, Medano Creek, Hiked the dunes a bit, drove Primitive road(4 wheel drive required).
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 11:56 AM

We used Noah's Ark which is one of only two right there at the entrance to Browns Canyon. They were superb. Especially when I compare them to the companies I've used in Utah (which I have never had cause to complain about). It was a great ride despite the fact that we were all freezing by the end since it was a cold day in July. We took the afternoon trip. We still had time to drive to Black Canyon and explore it before ending the day in Montrose, if that helps at all with the timing.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 01:37 PM

I think it is a bit much too and you'll feel rushed. We just got back from a quick trip to the Sand Dunes. We arrived at about 5 pm after a 3 hour trip from Denver. Since we spent the night in Alamosa we weren't in a big hurry to get to our next destination, so we could take our time playing in Medano Creek - which might not be flowing when you visit. I've been to the Great Sand Dunes many times, but it was the first time visiting late afternoon and I really enjoyed it because the sand wasn't blazing hot.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 06:23 PM

In a word, yes.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Okay, thank you all for the advice. I called Noah's Ark & they were so nice on the phone that I'll probably book with them. They made it sound like rafting would be done by 11:30 since the river is flowing good. We will definitely skip the Sand Dunes on this trip, but I'll need to find one or two places to make quick stops & break up the 4 hours drive to Durango! Oh yes, we'll need to get groceries on the way...so that will be one.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Hez

Black Canyon of the Gunnison & Ouray - both on the way if you go a slightly longer way from Buena Vista to Durango. That also takes you through Curecanti National Recreation Area which is cool.