Grand Canyon Rafting

Search

Grand Canyon Rafting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon Rafting

We're planning a short rafting trip with a few families in early July in the Grand Canyon with one of the outfitters. Just a 3 or 4 day. I suddenly started focusing on the weather, and worry it may be just too hot? Is it too hot to sleep? (sorry, we're beginners.)

Thanks for input.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 06:37 AM

Please be aware that the SHORTEST trip into the Grand Canyon is five days, and this will require that you either (1) hike down to the Phantom Ranch area to get picked up by the boat or (2) hike up from there after being dropped off by the boat. The shortest raft trip through the Canyon is about ten days.
http://www.oars.com/grandcanyon

Also be aware that summer rafting trips into the Grand Canyon sometimes sell out a year in advance. If you want a specific date in 2011 July, you may already be out of luck.

I suggest you look at another canyon.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:05 AM

Please be aware that the SHORTEST trip into the Grand Canyon is five days

Not really true ... you can put it at Bar 10 Ranch (Whitmore Wash, about mile 190) and do short trips, or at Diamond Creek (mile 225) and do even shorter trips into Lake Mead.

Here's a company with 3 and 4 day trips, for example (there are several others):
http://www.westernriver.com/trips/grand4day/
http://www.westernriver.com/trips/grand3day/

Hopefully spiro will post to this thread, he did this same trip a few years ago and had a good time.

... worry it may be just too hot? Is it too hot to sleep?

The river water is actually still cold even this far downstream, around 60 F (because it comes from about 600 ft deep at the bottom of the dam), so camping beside the river is relatively cool. It will be very hot during the day, probably 100 - 110 F, but easy to just slip into the water to cool off. I've never had any problems sleeping down there in the summer myself. I can't remember a single night where there wasn't an upstream wind.

Go for it.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:01 AM

We did a three day river trip with Arizona River Runners, pretty much as Bill describes. It isn't really the "classic" part of the canyon, but it will give you a taste of it. Its a good introduction. Basically you are on a big motorized J-rig boat with about 10 other people(we had 2 boats for our group). We spent the first night at Bar 10, then helicoptered down to the river. Spent that day on the river and spent the night on a sand bar in sleeping bags. The third day is spent on the raft for about 1/2 the day, the second half of the day is on a jet boat. I think a four day would be better. This tour basically does about the last 90 miles or about 1/3 of the canyon. Even better would be a 5-7 day trip further up canyon. Our trip did offer several short side hikes to waterfalls, indian ruins, etc. Very good trip, good food. Water is cold, and yes it is hot. The canyon gets cooler at night. We all wet our sheets down and we slept just fine. Sheets were totally dry by the mornings. Noone in our group slept in tents, but they are optional if you want or need them. I slept far better than I thought I would.

We went in June, which might be better. It is a really awesome place to experience, so anytime you can go would be a good time in my book. If you are a little hesitant on doing a river trip, this is really the right way to start. If you don't like it or enjoy it, then you really haven't spent to much time, money, or effort as say a full week trip. I can't imagine not totally enjoying it though. Yes, it is a little different, but really awesome. Just wait till you go to the bathroom. Very scenic toilets!!!!

You might take something to do at camps. cards, books, my daughter and another boy wound up playing a lot of frisbee in the bottom of the canyon. We even had 2 different groups of people that spoke very little English. It's really a mixed bag of people on these trips, you usually become friends with some of them pretty fast.

My only complaint was that I really like my drinks to be very cold and with ice. They just threw the drinks in a sack thing and drag them along in the water. Even when I go hiking I hate when my camelback doesn't have ice in it. My wife and daughter didn't seem near as bad about this as I did. We had roast and veggies for one meal at Bar 10. On the rafts we had Spaghetti, Garlic Bread, Salad, and cobbler for dessert. We had a very good deli lunch with a varitey of lunch meats and they even made chicken salad. They offered more condiments than any sandwich deli that I have ever been in(I would guess at least 20). One breakfast was french toast. They make cowboy coffee, which still has a few grounds in it. I think pretty much all the companies are very similar. I think any of them would be fine. Have a great trip!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM

I should also say that we were lucky enough to be with the lady that owns Bar 10. She takes her grandchildren down the river when they turn 12. She has made the trip many times. I am sure that any of the companies provide this to her for free. Without her ranch there and her airstrip, it would very difficult to do this type of trip. We found the employees at Bar 10 to go way out of there way to make sure everyone enjoyed themselves.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM

I work as a guide in Grand Canyon. It is true that July is a hot month, but not much hotter than late May, June, or August. The hot weather is great for the rapids! I would agree that the section of the Grand Canyon from Whitmore Wash to Lake Mead is not the best section of the canyon, but it is still spectacular if you have never been in the Grand Canyon. I would check out Colorado River & Trail Expeditions' website:

http://www.crateinc.com/

They run a 4-day from Lee's Ferry to Phantom Ranch as well as the Whitmore Wash trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 07:34 PM

They run a 4-day from Lee's Ferry to Phantom Ranch

The big problem with this one is that you'll have to hike out with all your gear about 7 miles with a 4,400 ft elevation gain, and in early July this is tough for a very experienced GC hiker, and extremely difficult and dangerous for non-experienced hikers due to the possibility of high heat.

The one time I did this on a river trip we weren't dropped off until after 9 AM for the hike out. Since it was late May and I had hiked in there a lot it wasn't a problem for me (made it out in time for lunch at El Tovar) but some of the other hikers really struggled and it's a lot tougher in July. I prefer starting a mid-summer hike at about 4 AM but we were camped at Grapevine Rapids, several miles upstream.

The good thing about doing this section instead of the one starting at Whitmore Wash is that you will see several of the best highlights of the canyon though, like Vasey's Paradise and Redwall Cavern and the Little Colorado river (if it's flowing clear and blue). And better, bigger whitewater than below Whitmore.

But in general I would not recommend doing this unless you can either finagle an overnight at Phantom Ranch and a mule ride out (or hike out very early next day), and even then it's tough in July if you have to carry your gear.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 06:57 AM

I haven't rafted the upper part of the GC. But, it is plenty scenic enough on the part we did. Everyone says the upper is better, but if you haven't seen it, I don't think you'll know the difference. If you have any doubts, the trip that I am referring to is a really good introduction. It was perfect for my wife. I could have certainly gone much longer, but just getting her to commit to not have a real bed, toilet, and shower for a couple of days was a huge effort.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 12:35 PM

It is hot at the bottom of the canyon but that water is always cold!

If you want to do the scenic "upper canyon" stretch from Lees Ferry to Phantom (assuming you can hike out), you should try to book with one of the outfitters that provides a night's lodging at Phantom so you can hike out early next morning, before it gets too hot. You can book duffel service for your gear (the mules carry it out), but they have strict weight requirements.