Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

TKTS booth in NYC for the week between Christmas and New Year's??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are visiting NYC for 2 nights Dec. 27 and 28. Instead of buying tickets ahead of time, I was thinking of trying out the TKTS booth in Times Square.

Some of the shows we'd be interested in would be: Chicago, Rent, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Hairspray. I'm assuming new things like The Color Purple should be ordered ahead of time. We've already seen The Producers, Phantom, Lion King, Mamma Mia, and have tickets for Wicked here in Boston next spring.

What do you think? Will there be things available, or should we order ahead of time?
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Also, www.broadwaybox.com seems to have good deals for this week when I checked for Chicago. Anyone use this site before?
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is possible but unlikely. The others are better possibilities....Just get in line early.
Yes, broadwaybox.com is a good source, as is playbill.com. Keep checking as your trip gets closer for possible offers.
Keep in mind, however, that the week between Christmas and New Years is probably the busiest one of the year for Broadway shows. So, if you see an offer for any of your four choices, I'd get the tickets then, rather than waiting until you got here.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM

NYC is a zoo between Xmas and New Years. I'd get the tix ahead of time.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:12 PM

I would get the tickets ahead of time for that week. Everytime we head into the city on a whim during that week, we are always out of luck.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 05:22 PM

I disagree that NYC is a zoo that week. Typically it's very quiet from the day after Christmas until New Year's Eve. Since you'll be there weekdays, you might get lucky.

Still, check out the discount codes at Playbill.com, Broadwaybox.com, and Theatermania.com
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 05:33 PM

New York is quiet that week???????? Not the parts of the I'm in!
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 05:40 PM

Since many of the shows you're interested in are often available with discount codes listed on broadwaybox or playbill or theatermania etc. I'd get them ahead of time and save yourself the time and aggravation of standing in line.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 05:52 PM

I was in NY those very dates last year (and will be again this year), it was very busy and freezing cold (not that you aren't used to it in Boston), but way too cold to stand in line at TKTS. Now, of course, you can't predict the weather, but I wouldn't chance having to stand in line when you can get tickets to these shows ahead of time.

Mary in D.C.

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Well, we've found the days between Christmas and New Year's Eve to be quiet(er) by comparison...and hotel rates are lower those particular days as well - in our experience.

Last year, the weather over New Year's was positively balmy!
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 10:58 PM

go to the TKTS booth at south street seaport. lines are almost non-existant, even in august when we were there!!!
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 11:00 PM

forgot to add another advantage.

you can buy the matinee tickets the DAY BEFORE down there!!!!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:45 AM

You won't have any luck with discount codes, I'm afraid- most shows black out the holidays from their offers.

However, there is a likelihood that the shows you're interested in will be available at TKTS. If you're flexible, then you're likely to end up with something you'll enjoy!

I would agree with the South Street Seaport suggestion, however. You'll save time, and possibly your toes!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:55 AM

I've seen that the best time for the TKTS booth is during or right after a blizzard. Nobody's around and there are a lot of cancellations.

Of course, it is not comfortable...
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Don't do the Times Square location, you will in line for HOURS, do what New Yorkers do and go to the booth down at the South St. Seaport. The booth opens at 10am, and there are rarely lines, or short lines. We keep this booth to ourselves, so Shhhhhhh.

Have a GREAT time while you are here.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 01:58 PM

From the TDF website about South ST. Seaport location:

Sunday matinee tickets will be sold on Saturday.
Please note that there are no tickets for Saturday matinee performances available on Saturday

This is incorrect?
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:28 PM

I'll answer my own question since nobody else has.

I was at the South St. Seaport TKTS office today and one cannot buy Saturday matinee tix on Saturday morning. Only Sat. evening and Sun. tix are available.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:29 AM

See, now that is something I didn't know. I have never purchased same-day matinee tickets before. Sorry that didn't work out for you.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Buy discount tickets in advance if at all possible. Besides not spending valuable vacation time standing in line - you have the confidence of knowing you will see someting.

As for the city being quiet tht week - that's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

While it's true some offices do close and lots of folks take vacation - much of it is to do things with their kids (there are more than a million kids in the NYC school system alone - never mind the suburbs) shopping, movies, museuming etc. All of these people will be packing the streets - as well as returning presents and shopping the sales.

The only days busier are the day/two just before Christmas and Black Friday.