another xmas in nyc question

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 01:08 PM
marion

another xmas in nyc question

I am also planning to go to New York for the holidays, but will probably go between Christmas and New Years. Am I nuts? Is it packed with tourists? Will there be ANY seats available for ANYTHING at TKTS? Will all the holiday fun be over? Or do Christmas decorations, etc. stay up through New Years? I realize it would be better to go before to really get the Christmas-shopping-experience, but work schedules don't allow it.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 02:16 PM
kate

No,not nuts,you will just have to plan way in advance to get tickets,reservations,etc.There will be decorations everywhere,way past New Years! If you are here after Jan 1, you can enjoy the huge after Christmas sales which can be fun,if you have some stamina
The weather can be iffy,this past year the weather was ok during and after the holidays.
There is nothing like Christams/New Years in New York

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 02:17 PM
kate

too bad I can't type
Christmas~

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Philip

Well, NYC will definitely be packed with tourists. If there is anything you really want to see, I would buy tickets ahead. The options on TKTS will be remnants. The merchandise in the stores may picked over but there will be sales. The city will still be in full holiday swing up through the New Year.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Howard

Yes, the city will be crowded with tourists.
Yes, there won't be that much available at TKTS.
BUT, no, the holiday fun will not be over.
Yes, the decorations will still be us.
And, definitely yes, it's a great time to come to New York City!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:34 AM
marion

Thanks! I think we'll go. I really don't want to wait for another year when my work schedule is better. Wait - better idea - I'll go this year between the holidays AND go again another year before Christmas! There, that's settled.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:44 AM
klam

We went to NYC for the first time on Xmas eve 2001 and left just before New Years. The place was magicial with all the decorations and lights in the stores and on the streets.

Yes, it was packed with tourists, even "post 9/11". You just have to plan ahead.

For instance, the queue for the Empire State Bldg was 2 hrs long in the afternoon, and TKTS line ups were absurd according to the locals who were around us in line. Still, we managed to get very good seats for Contact.

We also got excellent seats for the Rockettes Christmas Show at Radio City Music Hall ticket booth (we stumbled upon the masses and asked what was going on...we waited less than half an hour for a show a couple of days later).

I don't think you're nuts at all...the holiday season was a great time to go! We enjoyed ourselves so much we went again in Feb. Have a wonderful trip!