Tips on visiting Pearl Harbor?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a visit to Pearl Harbor for our family. Our sons will be 9,9 and 10. We have been once before when the oldest was just a baby. I understand now you can reserve tickets in advance to take the shuttle boat out. Is that true? Any hints or tips or must sees that you all would care to share?

Thank you
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:36 AM

Here's the website for reservations for Pearl Harbor
http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearch...abIndex=Search
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:27 PM

Believe them when they say:

Due to increased security measures, all purses, handbags, backpacks, fanny packs, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or any other type of bag that can conceal an object are not permitted inside Pearl Harbor, the Visitor's Center, or to any of the attractions. A storage facility is available at $3 per bag at the entrance to the National Park. Cameras and camcorders are permitted.

Also, your boys would probably like the tour of the USS Missouri, site of the signing of end of WWII. BIG guns, tiny bunks, cool operations center.

I think every American who is able should see PH.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:28 PM

i agree that they would enjoy the USS Missouri tour.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 06:23 PM

go early, and the Missouri for sure.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM

Trust you understand - the "Navy Boats" are the only ones who can actually dock at the sunken battleship? You have to first go through the movie/etc - before you get out on the water - so yes, definitely go early, even if you have reservations.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:21 PM

I had a very small over the shoulder hand bag and I had to check it so carry only what you actually need in your jacket or pants pocket. There are tours other than the Navy so don't be fooled. Missouri is also a great experience. You can take the bus if you don't have a car.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:48 AM

It's been a few years since I've been there, but I think my suggestion will still hold.

if you think your kids might be interested, have them participate in the Junior Ranger program. Pearl Harbor has one since it's part of the National Parks program and is considered a national park. My kids had lots of fun going through the tasks to earn their Junior Ranger badges and we all learned something in the process.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:40 AM

>>

Just to clarify, I think Shar means don't be fooled by those other tours (don't pay more!), because the Navy boat is the only one that actually goes to the Arizona memorial.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I have been once before but that was a decade ago and we only had one three month old who slept through the whole thing then. We didn't do too much because of the baby so I want to make up for lost time.

I am I understanding correctly that the tickets you can reserve online via the Parks Service website are for the shuttle boats to the Memorial? When we went before, we got there early and got a ticket once we arrived for a shuttle an hour or so later. I believe that you can do it all online now.

My sons recently spent a full day exploring the USS Midway in San Diego. Is the Missouri quite similar to that? I wonder if it is too much the same?

We ALWAYS do the Jr. Ranger programs so we will do that there as well. \

Thank you so much!
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:59 PM

The USS Midway is a Carrier - which is longer/taller and displaces more water than the USS Missouri - a big Battleship in it's own right - like the ones sunk at Pearl Harbor.

The Midway has more exhibits - such as the planes on deck, etc, but the Missouri has powerful history - as they Japanese officially surrended on her Deck to formally end WWII.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 06:33 AM

You are correct, the reservations are for the shuttle boats to the Arizona Memorial. I believe they request that you arrive an hour before your scheduled time to pick up the tickets or they will give them to someone else. Check the website about that issue.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 07:16 AM

Be advised the National Park Service has revised their ticket reservations and now are selling reserved tickets 6 months in advance, not 3. I just made reservations for December and many tickets are already gone.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM

We were just there in June 2012 with grandchildren and my daughter met a Mr. Lee who ws 11 years old on Dec 7 living on Oahu. He talks to a lot of school groups. Very interesting story. If you ask somebody working at the site you might be able to have hin talk to your kids. Ash about Mr. Lee.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 09:34 PM

I would advise that if you get a lei to make sure and take it there...lots of people put it in the water as a remembrance and I wish I had known.