tips on best times for New York museums in holiday to minimize mobs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We usually travel to New York offseason but this year, for a number of reasons, will be in the city from Christmas Day until December 31. We know the city will be full, but would welcome suggestions on how to minimize crowd experience--going early, late etc. We would know how to give this advice for Yosemite Valley, but are much less familiar with Manhattan. The last time I was there was in late January, when the MOMA was almost empty on a Wednesday morning.
Thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 12:21 AM

That is the busiest tourist week of the year. The streets near Rock Center can be impassible, the actually change the bus stops then. I am not sure when the slow times are.

At the Met Museum go in the entrance on street level to the left of the main stairs. Easier, faster. And be sure to see the mosr elegant tree in the city.

Try to eat and stay in residential areas not in midtown.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 12:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've always found the Metropolitan to be less busy on Sunday mornings. By one, it's back to normal.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 03:02 AM

Usually as soon as they open is the least busy times for museums. But the week you are there - all bets are off.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 03:26 AM

As for museums, go any day at its opening hour. That's especially good advice for the Met (9:30 a.m.)..
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 05:37 AM

Find a MOMA member (like me) or become one. The special exhibits on the 6th floor are open to members at 9:30.

http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/expl...ship-math.html
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Sue, NYC--can members get into the rest of the museum (esp 5th floor) early as well.
All--what do you think about option also of going late esp nights with late closings?

Abuchamps1--we are staying on the Upper West Side (Hotel Beacon), will be eating mostly in that part of town and also making use of the Fairway/hotel kitchenettes. Thanks for the tip about entering the Met on the left. Again, all advice welcome. I'm thinking with the Met that the Matisse exhibit will be body to body, but perhaps other parts of the museum will be less crowded.

We willl avoid Midtown except for a visit to the MOMA and perhaps a play. This may be the time when we finally get to the Bronx Botanical Gardens. The Rockefeller Center will not see us.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 01:45 PM

I'm guessing that the week between Xmas and New Year's is actually less busy than the week before Xmas.

Having said that, the major museums will never be empty. The Met is the number one attended attraction in the city because it appeals to both locals and tourists. I often go in the evenings , especially Saturday, and it may be less crowded since so many people use that time for Broadway shows or dinners. Also a random weekday midday may not be so bad since you avoid all us working stiffs and the suburbanites who mostly venture in on weekends

MoMa gets busier in spurts because it's in midtown where more people are staying and walking around anyway. It's also so much smaller than the Met and with only one entrance, so you can get crowds out the doors
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 02:43 PM

I repeat my advice about going early to the Met. It's NEVER that crowded first thing in the morning, even on weekends.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM

If you are in early you can get to the 5th floor when the Museum opens. One escalator down.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 04:17 PM

i wouldn't ignore Rock Center. the tree, the Rock Center decoration, the store windows and St Pat's are incredible and not to be missed. But do plan on going after dinner (no earlier than 10 pm) when crowds are less and lights are brightest.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 05:30 PM

I was just in the Bronx Botanical Garden for the first time and it is beautiful! But it is huge and I believe it is very crowded in Christmas because they have decorations. One time I was in the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens in winter and the cactus gardens and tropical gardens were very warm and nice.

I don't know how late the museums are open on Xmas eve, but most people will probably not bother to go that night. I am like you that I don't want to be someplace so crowded as Rockefeller Center on Xmas. But I am not so excited to see huge Christmas displays anyway. I am not a Christian!
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I have definitely decided to get a MOMA membership. We live in San Francisco area and thus qualify for out of town rate, not much more than the price of two tickets.

Another question--restaurant choices for Christmas Day?? I'm thinking the best bet for something open is likely to be a hotel. Ours is without a restaurant.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 01:34 AM

Another question--restaurant choices for Christmas Day?? I'm thinking the best bet for something open is likely to be a hotel. Ours is without a restaurant.
____

It is a NY tradition for Jews to go to an early movie and have Chinese food on Christmas. With a growing Asian, African, and Muslim populations the choices are much more varied now, especially Indian, Korean (some Koreans, however, are devote Christians), Thai, Vietnamese, Jewish delis, mideastern, and African. One year we tried Ethopian food.

And there are other restaurants who will be open that day. As you get closer to trip, just google NYC open Christmas Day. It seemed last year a number of steak houses were open.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks