Reload this Page >

Tipping the tow truck

Search

Tipping the tow truck

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 04:32 AM
gc

Tipping the tow truck

This really is travel related. While driving to a vacation spot over the weekend, my trusty car died. Lucky for me, I've got AAA Plus (100 free miles of towing per incident).
The tow guy showed up, towed me 90 miles home, I signed the paperwork and left.
Question, should I have tipped him? And if so, how much?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 04:37 AM
depends

I don't know, depends on a lot of different conditions:

Were you driving in the United States or Europe as different tipping rules apply?

Was the total bill over $1000 and did he chase you out of the resturant after you didn't tip him?

Is he also an airline pilot? This makes a lot of difference because if he is you are not supposed to tip airline pilots.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 04:40 AM
gc

Depends,

Cute...in the US, thr driver didn't chase me, I have no idea what the bill was, as I didn't see it, but figure $75 to hook up and $3/mi that's $345. And he was niether a pilot nor rocket scientist.

Cheers

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:10 AM
grease

I don't know if this influences your thinking (and it's not an answer to the question):

Garages that are part of the AAA network get a nominal amount for towing disabled cars. The theory is that if they tow you, they're likely to get the repair job and make some money on that.

I guess I would have tipped the guy $10 or so.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Howard

Even if it is part of AAA's service, you really got a good deal, considering that he towed you 90 miles home. To me, that's worth at least $20. If you have his address, I'd send it to him.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:24 AM
x

this post just about made me gag...no you shouldn't have tipped him. tipping in this country is getting way out of hand in my opinion. what's next, should we tip the public transit driver everytime we get on a bus. enough already.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:30 AM
xxx

Based upon some previous posts about tipping, you should tip anyone that makes less than you do.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:55 AM
cute

only if he was cute

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:04 AM
gc

Based on what I've heard so far (over x's gagging), I'm not missing anything. There is no standard etiquette for the tow truck guy.

I suppose, in case he comes at you with a crowbar, you should have a 10 spot ready...

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Mildred

Oh rats I thought you meant you tipped over the tow truck. Sort of like what people do to cows.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:28 AM
gc

that's another story...

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:09 AM
xxx

Here's a tip to give to the tow truck driver, tell him to pull up his pants so the moon don't show...

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:22 PM
xxx

He was just doing the job that he was paid to do, so why would you tip him? He didn't do anything above and beyond the service that you had contracted for with AAA. Tipping is getting out of hand in this country!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Dan

I would have thanked him with a 20 and told him to get Lunch/Dinner on me.

But that's just me. On the other hand if he had billed me $345. I would have paid it without a tip.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Lisa

As is the custom when it comes to tipping anyone. Tip if you think the person deserves it. IMO if a person provides me with a service that exceeded my expectations, then they get a tip. Whether it is my waitress or the plumber....The problem in this country is that certain people (i.e waitresses) get tipped no matter what, even if the service is awful. Understandably waitstaff are paid below min wage because of tips, however if you stink at being a waiter / waitress maybe one should find a new line of work rather than expecting tips for bad service.