Search

Tip for concierge?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tip for concierge?

We're LOVING Key West and I can barely wait to post our trip report. But today, I have a quick question about tipping the concierge. We've never stayed at an inn with a full-service concierge before, so I want to make sure we tip adequately. Our conncierge has made our dinner and actvity reservations, as well as provided and cleared breakfast. She has also provided great local information, suggestions and advice. We've stayed four nights. Thanks in advance for your guidance!
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Hmmm, that is a tough one. Some concierges get kick-backs from the local businesses for recommendations and setting up reservations, so keep in mind, she may have already earned some commission from your excursions. That aside, I don't think there is a "general rule" on tipping your concierge, so if you feel the need to show her appreciation, then just do what makes you feel most comfortable. I would think no more than 20% of one night stay at your hotel.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:18 AM

If it were me I would give her a $100, if not give her $50.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Reservations at a restaurant that you could have made yourself without problems - $5 for each reservation
Organized tour/guide/activity arrangement - $5 same as above
A theater ticket/concert ticket - $5 same as above (after all, you're still paying premium because in most cases the concierge just calls a local ticket broker)
If it's a sold out show and you're still only paying face value for the ticket then a $20 or more.

All of the above take only few minutes for the knowledgeable concierge.

If you are talking about a hard to get reservation at one of the trendy restaurants - the price goes up, IMHO, $20 should do it, although it's not because it takes the concierge any longer to arrange, but because s/he probably has an in with the restaurant, so you're paying for their networking ability.

Getting a present for your SO on their birthday after the stores are closed and you forgot to buy anything?
or having your tuxedo cleaned because you accidently spilled something on it just an hour before an award reservation. TIP BIG!!!!

Old May 29th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Well - I've never heard of a concierge who served or cleared meals. In my experience they don't leave their desk in the lobby.

So - tht said - it seems like $5 for each reservation would be adequate - it doesn;t sound like you asked for anything especially difficult.
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:02 AM

I saw on another post that Katharine had booked at The Mermaid and the Alligator B&B. This is a 7 room inn, so the idea of concierge at a desk all day is a little off in this case.

I'm also curious if the "concierge" is really one of the owners or the general manager?
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM

I wouldn't tip the owner of a B and B either.
My wife and I have had 2 really good concierge's in the past year. That's why I tend to tip a bit for these individuals. One in particular where we stay in San Francisco is in a class by itself as he is a exceptional concierge.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. We ended up tipping the $50. I hope that was fair. It was actually the concierge. didn't tip the owner. She not only gave info and made basic reservations, but alerted restaurant staff at Michael's about our anniversary and we were well-celebrated during our visit. yes, as it was a B&B, she actually prepared, served and cleared breakfast each day also.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:43 PM

You are generous to a fault.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 06:27 PM

It was a perfect amount Katharine.