Concierge tipping etiquette???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A recent post brought these questions to mind: I am interested in your suggestions as to how one discreetly tips a concierge in a luxury hotel.

Do you put cash in an envelope and hand it to him? Do you tip when you make your first request or wait until you check out? Or do you do it as each service is performed (like giving directions on a map or making restaurant reservations?)..and then hand him some cash?

What if more than one concierge has assisted you? Or if it is his day off when you are ready to check out?

I have not encountered these situations yet, but I am hoping to soon!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:15 AM

travler, This is such a great question, for a lot of the reasons you elaborate on. I usually give the concierge something when the service is rendered and I just hand it to them as I would a bellboy or the guy who takes my bags at the airport. I wouldn't tip for directions on a map, or something really minor, but certainly for making reservations or procurring tickets.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Hi
Here's an article with some suggestions
http://conciergeassoc.org/concierg/concierg.htm
it's a few years old, so you might want to up the suggested amounts

I don't tip for one routine dinner reservation, but for special service--a last-minute difficult restaurant or theatre booking, a series of dinner or other reservations, particular kindness or helpfulness
I put some cash in an envelope, or just hand over the cash if there's no envelope in my room

I often inquire a day or two before I am leaving if the particular concierge will be on duty on my day of departure--
if not, I give it to him/her before I leave
I do the same with the chambermaid if I want to make sure a particular person gets my offering

Don't worry too much about your own discretion or your own approptiateness.
People in service industries are almost always to receive the tip, whether you feel quite confident or not.
If you fumble a bit, don't worry. By next day they will have forgotten you, unless you visit all the time.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:19 AM

The Japanese really got it right when it comes to tipping - don't do it. Believe it or not, it's the Americans Europeans blame for tipping chaos. The reason: Americans tend to overtip for fear of appearing cheap. More inferiority complex at work.

Tipping is a dreadful act and so declasse. However, it's become a necessary evil, except for in Japan.

There's plenty of information out there about to whom and how much. The only advice I will offer here is NEVER hand cash over to a worthwhile concierge. Take the extra tasteful step and get an envelope from your room or the front desk and be sure to address it with the concierge's name and write a brief "thank you" salutation and hand it directly to the concierge, when you can. I promise you'll get a big smile and you'll be remembered well upon your next visit.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:28 AM

NYCFS, actually, I have observed a different tipping technique in Japan. My trips have been "hosted" by a wealthy Japanese businessman with impeccable taste and manners. In restaurants and ryokan, he always handed over a very small envelope to the server upon our arrival. It was my understanding that there was a hefty "pre-tip" inside. I can only tell you that we were always taken care of as if we were part of the royal family.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:39 AM
ira

>Tipping is a dreadful act and so declasse.<

Unless you is the tippee.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:20 AM

Actually Americans don't overtip at all, let alone because of any inferiority complex. People from other countries actually undertip because they are selfish and completely egocentric.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:34 AM

I don't tip the concierge. I tip cows.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Marilyn - Sony Entertainment has hosted me on several visits to Japan since the early 90's. I think what your referring to is known as a "gift," and gift-giving is very much a part of Japanese culture and comes in all forms. I know there's a fine line here and the American way may be having an influence on Japan's service industry in their aching economy. However, tipping is an age-old taboo in Japan and has always been considered degrading.

On the other hand, Ira - Who doesn't want some extra cash? Thank you capitalism!

Rufus - You just plain don't know anything. Ask any Rome waiter which diner tips the highest and I'll pay your hotel bill if he doesn't say, "the American." Now, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of cheapo's out there and on this site. DON'T get me started on them. At least, when most Italians speak of Americans, "generous" is a word that is often mentioned.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Yes, NYCFS, it is a "gift", but since it is clearly given "To Insure Prompt (and excellent)Service" I think you can call it whatever you like, it still serves the function of what we would call a tip.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Intrepid

I still think that those who have to ask whether or not they should tip (at all) have probably never worked for one. In terms of "when" I agree with tipping the concierge for services rendered, either when it is rendered or at the end of your stay..and whether or not they forget about you is irrelevant...you tip for services rendered and not so they won't forget you.

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 04:20 PM

if you have a service performed by a
concierge or any other hotel service
person, and you are satisified with the
service, tip, don't wait for the next time or the end of your stay, the
exception would be the chambermaid.
Richard of LaGrange Park, IL..
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your helpful suggestions. I will feel more confident about handling this type of situation.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:07 PM

In an envelope with their name written on it, yours small at the top or on a note inside - hand it to them when you depart. If they are not on duty you can give it to the other person or the manager. I would not give it immediately after a service but on departure.