Tipping at ryokans?

Search

Tipping at ryokans?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping at ryokans?

I just read on another travel site that ryokan hosts expect tips of up to 25% of the per night cost. Is that true?

I'm staying at an expensive ryokan in Miyajima in May and I don't want to insult them!

Thank you!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:07 AM

Although tipping isn't the norm in Japan, some people do tip at ryokan. This is more likely to happen if the ryokan is high end, and if the guests are older.

If you feel the need to tip, and it is not required remember, then the way it has been recommended to me is that you put the money (cash) in an envelope and present it to your personal maid once you are in your room and she has shown you around and indicated that she will prepare tea and a sweet for you. The amount is 10-25% of the room fee, and those who do it believe it gets them better service during their stay.

I have never done it, and have received excellent service anyway. Neither tipping nor not tipping is insulting.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:11 AM

Tipping is not expected in ryokan any more, esp since your bill would include service charges (about 10%?).

However, I'm sure the hostess will appreciate if you leave a tip (about JPY3000) if you receive exceptional services. Make sure it is in an envelope--never hand the cash directly unwrapped!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:37 AM

When I was staying at a high end ryokan in Kyoto we tipped the way Kim described - when we first met our hostess in our room. Room price was US $1,400.00 a night(3 of us) and we were staying for 2 nights and I gave our hostess 10,000 yen in an envelope. We got exceptional service but I don't think it was because of the tip but rather the usual standard of the Hirragiya ryokan.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:43 AM

Yes, it's the high end places where tipping is still practiced by some guests.

W9London, unless you are referring to places where the cost is under ¥20,000/night total, a ¥3000 tip would actually be insulting I think. The places where tipping is still practiced are way out of that class, costing upwards of ¥50,000/person per night...a tip for 2 people would be around ¥15,000 - ¥25,000. And it is given first, never at check out.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help! KimJapan - special thanks on your help with the amount and the presentation. My friend and I are very anxious not to be perceived as "rude Americans".

Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:54 AM

KimJapan,

You're absolutely right. It was a few years back, but I recall the rate was about JPY30,000. So we thought of about 10% (that was on top of the service charge in bill). I'm not sure if we insulted the hostess by mistake or not, as we paid at the end of our stay. So probably a different league of places...
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:39 PM

W9 - In that case, I don't think you insulted anyone. They were probably quite suprised by it, and thought you were doing as you might do at home.

cshellen - If you are just your usual polite self you will not be perceived as rude. Where are you staying? Unless it is very high end and exclusive, you don't need to tip. There are very few of this sort of place that foreign tourists would be able to stay at...because of both price and exclusivity.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi KimJapan (thank you and W9London for your answers on my restaurant questions, as well!):

We're staying only one night at the Iwaso ryokan on Miyajima. I think it's about ¥48,000 per night, which almost right at the ¥50,000 mark you mentioned. That's high-end enough to deserve a tip, right?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:50 PM

Not so high end. High end is that much per person per night and on up. In the type of place Iwaso is, a tip will not be required or expected. If you did want to tip, between ¥5000 and ¥10,000 would be way plenty. If it were me (and I know it's not), I would not tip there. They will have seen plenty of foreigners before you, so they are familiar with how to teach you about ryokan I'm sure. They will not expect a tip. Don't misunderstand me...it's a lovely place, just not the type of high end exclusive place where tipping would be appropriate.

Miyajima is lovely. Be sure to go a bit off on your own on top of the "mountain." You can walk down via walking paths, and there are some lovely small temples along the way that you can see and have all to yourself. It's also quite peaceful once all of the daytrippers have left.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM

In general, Japan is not a tipping (nor haggling for that matter) society.

We also stayed at Hiragiya ryokan - we did not tip and the service was exceptional - better than what you will get in the states at ANY price. They charge enough.

We tipped a cab driver our first night and he looked confused and surprised ... that's when I read up that in Japan this is not done.

Although I'm sure nobody's going to frown at you for giving them money .
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:51 PM

There is no tipping in Japan. Exquisite service is just the norm.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM

High end exclusive ryokan and onsen hotels are the exception to the no tipping rule, and even then, if you don't tip it is fine. But, some people do tip, the more expensive and exclusive the ryokan, the more likely tipping is practiced.