Timing for Trip to Texas Hill Country

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The obits for Lady Bird have me thinking again of taking a trip to Texas Hill country to see the wildflowers. What is the best time of year to do that? Can you give me any suggestions for a circular route (so I can fly into and out of the same airport) and lodging along the way? Can I do this using one hotel (maybe 2) as my base and taking day trips?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Here's a start: http://www.tex-fest.com/wildflower/
The flowers bloom in the spring--specific dates for best time to see them vary a little depending on the weather. Look at the dates on the pictures on this website. There is a map, too. You can fly to Austin or San Antonio.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Typically the wildflowers peak in April. The time in April depends on the weather and rainfall. Besides the obvious spot mentioned in your post (Lady Bird Wildflower Center in Austin), there are some other towns that have some nice flowers too. Some include Burnet and Marble Falls areas which are both northwest of Austin. I wish I had some links for you but others will chime in.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Try this link, it is a pretty popular drive but I haven't taken this one yet.

http://www.lone-star.net/wildflowers/willowcityloop.htm
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM

The Willow City Loop is a very scenic drive and do try to include it, but the "must" is the LBJ Ranch and Park itself. Not only is it interesting but the wildflowers are breathtaking on all the roads into and out of the area. The trick is hitting the peak but usually figure late March and first half of April. This past year we didn't have rain (not the same this year!) and flowers were sparce and late, bluebonnets late April in Hill Country.

May I add my salute to Miss Lady Bird, not only for her efforts for Texas but the entire country. Washington DC in the spring is worth a big "thank you"
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM

The first week in April is usually perfect weather in the Hill Country. Fly into and return out of either Austin or San Antonio. Stay in B&B's whenever possible. Personally, I love to stay in the towns of Boerne and Marble Falls. (Eat at the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls!) Of course, a trip to Johnson City and the LBJ Ranch will be a must!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the time it took to post these suggestions. I will follow your links and lookup your recommendations as time becomes available.

I agree that all nature lovers owe her a debt of gratitude. I live in the DC 'burbs and see evidence of her endeavors every spring.