Search

Texas Wildflowers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas Wildflowers

What is considered the peak of wildflower season in Texas? Being there during this time of the year is a life-long dream for me and I don't want to miss it in 2009. Also, am I correct in assuming that the 'hill country' is the place for optimal viewing?

Right now, we are planning a fly/drive vacation to Austin for 1 overnight (Lady Bird Center) and San Antonio for 2 overnights (River Walk and typical touristy spots) with a drive of several days in the hill country between the two cities.

Any suggestions?

We are not strong hikers, but love short walks and the opportunity to enjoy God's beautiful countryside. We are among those described as drive-by tourist though I love to stop and take pictures. History always calls us when we travel. Fine dining and theater are not the purpose of this trip. Just going, seeing and enjoying the countryside this time.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM

You are dealing with mother nature so dates for finding the peak of bloom for Texas Wildflowrs is not an exact science. Generally speaking you'll find the best color in late March or early April. With Texas weather you can't get any more specific than that as dates can and do vary from year to year.

Yes, the "Hill Country" will offer the best choice of viewing areas.

Do a google search for "Texas Wildflowers" and you'll find hundreds of links on the subject, including information on towns and areas that are the most popular among the locals and tourists alike.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Roams, I understand. People often ask me for peak leaf viewing season for the area where I live. It depends! You have given me a good range which is the most I hoped for.

TY for your time.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:10 AM
yk

Here's a trip report on Texas Wildflowers from April this year, by Fodorite Margo:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35124827
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM

polly - roams is pretty much on point. One of, if not THE most, variable is rain. One thing I tell people is to keep track (weather.com, etc) of whether rainfall is at or above normal during winter/early spring. If it is, then the late Mar early April is usually on target.