Timeshare: Bargain or Boondoggle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're trying to decide whether a Maui timeshare is the right choice for our family. I've heard very positive feedback from a couple of people who have Marriott timeshares, but would be interested in hearing from others with firsthand experience.

Even though it's not particularly cost effective in the short term, there are several appealing benefits over the long term:

-> Once it's paid for, we've got it for life and then our kids will get it.

-> It's a two bedroom condo with laundry and kitchen facilities rather than small hotel room.

-> It's in Hawaii (Maui), which offers good trading value for stays in other locations where we'd like to go, including top hotels around the world (Starwood).

-> Even though we aren't approaching this as an investment, it would enhance our ability to vacation more after we retire, since our accommodations would be prepaid.

-> Gold status in Starwood Preferred Guest program for life, enabling room upgrades, etc...

Any thoughts about the downsides? Are we crazy to consider this?
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 12:16 PM

Carmen, you will hear lots of pro's and con's about buying a timeshare. We bought our first one 21 years ago and added two more afterwards. We bought from the developers..bad thing to do. But have had some wonderful vacations to places we would probably never have gone to with out our trades.

First I suggest very strongly that you LEARN all about timesharing BEFORE you buy. The best place to do that is on the Timeshare Users Group BBS at www.tug2.net. There are people there who have vast knowledge in the whole concept! As I said..learn about them first, as you are trying to do, then decide whether you want to buy.

Resale is the best and cheapest way. Check out prices on eBay to see how cheaply you can pick up a t/s, and get a better idea of what they are really worth. But there are other places to purchase resales too. But check TUG out first. Good luck.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips!
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 12:47 PM

Hi, Carmen. We own a TS at the Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club on Oahu, having puchased in March 2003. We think Marriott is the best of the TS companies we've researched. We had our first stay at our 2-bd villa in July and LOVED it. Yes, there are those who says TS are not a good idea, but I really believe it all depends on how you like to vacation. My husband has a very stressful job (SWAT) and this forces us to vacation and get away from it all. We also know that when we go to our resort, we will always be in an impeccably beautiful room and the grounds are very well kept. We also love the area, and I like not having to pay $2,000 per week for a hotel room, as we had been before. When we went this year, 3 couples who were looking to purchase a TS and who went with us ended up purchasing at Ko'Olina, and are very happy they did. They have small children and the calm lagoons that make up the beach at Ko'Olina are perfect and safe for small children. I think that if you have small children, having a full kitchen and laundry facilities in your room are indispensible.

BTW, we were in Maui in 2003 and stayed at the Maui Marriott Ocean Club and, though in a good area, our group was very unimpressed with the property itself. The property is an old hotel being converted into TS rooms, and though we have friends who own there and we saw their room, I have to admit we were really disappointed with the quality of the furnishings. Also, because the room is 2 hotel rooms combined into one villa, it's awkward. Also doesn't have a full kitchen (half fridge and no cooktop) or a washer/dryer unit in the villa. Also, the grounds were not kept up and were a bit dirty. The best thing about that resort is the pool, which is really great. They're charging a 5-star price for what I would consider to be a 3-4 star resort simply because it's on Maui. I would demand better.

Having said that, my husband and I did take a tour of the new Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas up the beach. If you're really set on buying on Maui, THAT is a beautiful place! Just as nice as our place at Ko'Olina, though it's not a Marriott property. Perhaps that's the Starwood place you're referring to? It's about the same price as the Maui Marriott rooms, but much, much nicer. It has a full kitchen and washer/dryer in the room, and it's beautifully decorated and laid out.

I would recommend that if you are considering buying at the Maui Marriott, to go view the Westin, too, before you buy. Then make your decision.

I don't think you'll regret buying a TS if you do plan on vacationing every year. We love our place, and I know we'll never regret it. I dream about going back almost every day. We haven't experienced any downsides yet, nor have our friends who have owned longer than us. Good luck!
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

juanita,

Thanks, that is really relevant input! Yes, it's the Westin Ka'anapali we are considering. We're looking at the every other year with 12-month option to convert to an every year deal. We've never done a timeshare before and are just kind of nervous about it. We were just staying at the Princeville Resort on Kauai, which has a sales gallery for the property. It seems kind of weird to buy something you haven't seen, but the reviews are fairly glowing. I've been scoping it all out on the TUG site suggested by mamajo. Many thanks, again!
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:35 PM

You're welcome, Carmen. Oh, I forgot to also mention that a client of mine purchased an EOY 2-bd oceanview villa at the Westin on Maui last year, and is very happy with his purchase.

One more important thing I forgot to mention -- resales are much cheaper, however, it's my understanding that if you purchase a Marriott TS on the resale market, you do not get to participate in the reward points program. I'm not sure how Starwood works, but if you're thinking of purchasing a resale, I would call Starwood and ask them if you will get ALL the benefits of an original owner who purchased directly from the developer. It would be terrible to think you have more benefits than you actually do.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:02 PM

Let me tell you something about timeshares, financially speaking it,s not the best alternative..If you pay 20000 for one weeek they are selling the condo for more than a million, those condo are usually price for less than half iy you buy for yourself, then all those promises for for future real states increases are never realize. you also have to consider that they charge a maintenance fee and also a fee for exchanges, beside the money that you paid could earn interes, if you consider this a long term investment, then you can buy a US goverment bond that earns 6% a year, that is 1200 dolar a year, plus aprox other 1000 dolars in yearly fees and no chance for long term increases in real states values...It,s a really bad investment.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:17 PM

I would have to agree that a TS is not a good "investment". HOWEVER, that is only if you view it from the perspective of MAKING money from it, which my husband and I do not. We want it for the years of regular enjoyment it will give us, and his daughter and her kids when we're gone. I agree that people should not view a TS purchase as an "investment" in the traditional sense. Do not expect to MAKE money from it, just use it and enjoy it. I've heard the argument of well, you could just purchase a condo, etc., etc. But with a condo, although I would have much more time there, it would not give me many of the things I enjoy while on vacation (i.e., maid service, concierge service, room service and pool service). Plus, although we do pay a maintenance fee, in Hawaii, there is no Prop 13 like there is here in CA, which means property taxes can and do rise dramatically for some. Give me a one-time payment for a week or two in a beautiful location at a 5-star property with every amenity and service I desire any day of the week. It beats having to pay to keep up a condo, pay property taxes, and have no services.

As I said in my original reply, it's really about how an individual likes to vacation. For some, a condo is a perfect idea. For others, like me, a timeshare fits the bill perfectly.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 03:23 AM

I always thought timeshares were ripoffs, until my sister bought on off e-bay. So many people want to get rid of theirs that you can get them really cheap, so that they end up being real bargains.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 05:39 AM

Run, run away now. Very foolish. You can get better accomodations for a cheaper price in the long run by NOT buying a timeshare. Do A LOT MORE research. Don't take my word or anyone else's on this board exclusively. Look at how much you will pay, the lack of tax leverage,maintanence fees, talk to other people who own Starwood timeshares, find out what properties they have been able to upgrade to. If it's not a good financial investment then it's simply not an investment. Compare the nightly cost of your timeshare to other, better properties in the same area.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Our room rents for $400-500 per night, which is more than we could normally afford if we had to save up for it every year. Don't listen to others that say it's a terrible thing to purchase. We know 6 other couples who have owned a TS for years who said they have traveled far more often and to more places than they would have if they had to pay for a hotel, etc. I'm not saying you absolutely should do it, I'm just saying you should look at how you like to vacation, do some research re: the benefits of buying direct from the developer versus a resale, determine how your family likes to vacation, and don't think of it as an investment from which to make money from, but rather a purchase that can give you years of enjoyment. We like not having to save up $2000 or more for a room each vacation, not really knowing if the resort is even worth it until we get there.

A TS is right for a lot of people, and not right for others. Do your research, Carmen, and then make your decision. I've toured the property you're considering, and I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed with it.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 08:29 AM
lvk

I agree with the others - Don't buy from the developer or resort and use Tug2.net as a resource. There are classifieds for those who are trying to resell, and sales histories showing the actual selling prices of units.

With a family, there is definitely an advantage to having a 2-bedroom condo (especially with laundry facilities) over a cramped hotel room.

However, if your kids are in school, you will have to accept the fact that it can be very, very diffucult to book school vacation weeks (xmas, spring break, summer) either in your home resort or an exchange. My friends have been trying for months to book their first week in the new Maui Marriott complex for summer of 2005, and had to call every day for 3-4 weeks to get their weeks booked. Other friends of mine bought an Intrawest unit, just for the skiing, (2 yrs ago) and have not yet been able to get the units in Whistler or Mammoth that they want during the school vacation time.

On the other hand, there's my friend whose kids are grown, and she's been to some beautiful resorts all over the world. She bought 2 Marriott (2 br) weeks for about $3k from a friend 10 years ago, and is way past the "break-even" point.

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great input. After thinking this over (while laying awake in the wee hours LOL), I think we're going to NOT purchase the timeshare now, but may do it in a few years. The point about possibly having trouble booking the week during school vacations was one of the deciding factors. The good thing is that now I've done the research, so when an opportunity comes along again, I'll already know the low-down. Thanks!
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 10:06 AM

If you book early enough, you shouldn't have any problem getting in during summer vacation months. We went in July and had no trouble booking our week, and we have our next week scheduled for next summer.

Remember that in a few years it will also be more expensive. Our place is $7K more now than when we bought in 2003. Our friends who bought were bummed about that!

I always say that when it doubt about something, don't do anything until you know for sure it's what you want to do. Good luck!