Search

Marriotts in Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marriotts in Maui

I am cashing in Marriott points for a vacation next summer. I initially thought the Maui Marriott Resort was the best location but have gotten some negative comments about its condition. Are the other Marriott properties(Wailea Marriott or Renaissance Wailea) on Maui worth considering in contrast to the Maui Marriott??? Also, how would they compare to the Kauai Marriott resort? Thanks for any input!!!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:53 PM

B_Rad: Curious... what are the negatives you've heard about the Maui Ocean Club (we're scheduled to stay there in August). I know I've heard the timeshare rooms are better than the hotel rooms... but anything in particular? We're staying there mostly for the pool (think the kids will like it) and because my husband is a Platinum Marriott member.

Would appreciate any info. you have.

Thx!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Cawhite... here's a thread I saved

" I will say that as far as the resort itself, the Maui Marriott is completely unimpressive and overrated. We had a group of 8 (2 owned there) when we went, and the other 6 of us all agreed that it was definitely not very nice. It's an old hotel being converted to a timeshare resort. Most of us had hotel rooms, which were very ordinary and overpriced for what we got. We figured our friends' timeshare room had to be beautiful -- NOT! Anyway, I agree that their pool is fantastic, especially for kids. "

To be fair I've gotten other reviews that were ok but this one wasn't the only one that referred to it as a bit run down. I am also concerned about the construction that will be happening when we go next year. I may decide on Kauai but have older kids that might like the action in the Kanapali area. Kauai seems beautiful but I've heard that it shuts down around 8PM.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:07 AM

B Rad- We're staying at the Marriott Ocean Club in the timeshare portion in October. I have seen a few bad reports, but I'm not letting it bother me. I have seen many more great reviews. I can't speak for the hotel portion, only the timeshares, but they have been completely re-done. We're also staying at the Marriott Wailea for a few days on points just to get the feel for another part of the island. I say, do what makes you happy and don't let the negatives influence you.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 07:48 AM

Thanks B_Rad... I did see that same post and was concerned... but then I looked at tripadvisor.com and it seemed to get great reviews. But I can't tell if the people are rating the timeshare units or the hotel units.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 01:33 PM

We stayed at the Marriott in Ka'anapali in 1998 and while the room was nothing special, we loved the location; and that was before the renovations. In 2001 we stayed at the Outrigger before it was a Marriott and we liked that too. This summer we are staying at the Marriott Ocean Club, the new name since the renovations and we have a 1 BR suite that must be part of the time share portion. I have read bad reviews here but I have read more good reviews and since I didn't dislike it before, I can't imagine that I will be too disappointed with the new pool. I like the fact that it is walking distance to the Whaler shops and to Black Rock. With teens, Ka'anapali is a better place to be and its closer to Lahaina.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the great replies! I hope to read about your trips when you return. Does anyone have any info on construction experiences? I think we'll go in the middle of it next summer.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 03:49 AM

we were there last july and it was a beautiful hotel.(we've stayed there twice before,before they were converting to timeshares) In 2003 we stayed in 2 connecting rooms, one was a huge suite with wraparound deck and windows, huge living rooom, wetbar, dining toom, private bedroom. everything was clean, new, well kept. the construction at that point was 2 floors above us. they drape off 2 floors between the work and the usable rooms. we were never affected by it at all. my 3 boys(7,12,13) loved the pool and the whole layout of the hotel. my sister was the at christmas and had nothing but good comments. no matter what the subject, half the people will love it, half the people will hate it.have a great time!!!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:45 AM

We stayed there in Nov. Thought it was a nice place for families. OUr kids liked it alot. The location is good and the pool is very nice.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Buzzmom

I am the person who wrote the review which B_Rad requoted. I still feel the same way about the Maui Marriott, but would like to explain a bit more. It's not that the property is terrible. Goodness, you're in a beachfront resort in Maui - how bad can it be! LOL! The problem I (and the other 5 people who shared my opinion) had with the resort is that it does not live up to the standard of what a 5-star resort should. The grounds are nice and, as I said before, the pool is wonderful. However, the hotel rooms are very ordinary for the price charged. We really did assume the timeshare rooms would wow us, but were disappointed even with those. Since the TS rooms are 2 hotel rooms combined, they seemed a bit awkward, and the furnishings were just not up to par. A bit shabby, IMHO. I must also admit that some of us were comparing it to the new (open Jan 2003) Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club (another TS resort) on Oahu, which have incredibly beautiful, luxurious rooms with full kitchens and in-room washer/dryers. One of my friends mentioned that the daily upkeep of the grounds was lacking. Elevators which were greasy with the same suntan oil fingerprints for a couple of days is one example.

I agree with those who have said you can't always listen to the negatives. Indeed, there are many who love the Maui Marriott, and mine is just one opinion. However, I just strongly believe that for the big bucks you pay to stay in a top-of-the-line resort in Maui, you should get what you pay for, and this property doesn't give you that. If it were advertised as a 3 or 4 star property, I wouldn't have had such high expectations and would not have been disappointed. I just think it's misrepresented as better than it is. I know there are other comparably-priced resorts on Kaanapali beach with beautiful rooms and grounds which are worth paying for.

Wherever you stay, I hope it meets your expectations and is fabulous!

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the explanation Buzzmom.

Just curious... have you been to and/or stayed at either of the other 2 Marriotts on Maui (Wailea Marriott or Renaissance Wailea)? I'm wondering how you think those compare with the Maui Ocean Club.

Thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Buzzmom

Hi, cawhite! Sorry, I have not stayed at either of the 2 properties you list. I'm sure if you do a search for them in this forum, you'll find some reviews.

I truly don't intend to put any damper on your upcoming stay at the Maui Ocean Club. I was only giving an honest opinion since one was requested. Bottom line is that we did end up having a FANTASTIC time in Maui! And you absolutely MUST have breakfast at the Gazebo restaurant while in Maui. It's not far (maybe 10 min up the road) from the Maui Ocean Club, and they serve incredible banana-mac pancakes with coconut syrup for a very reasonable price. Mmmmmmm.....I can't wait to have those again! Have a great time!!

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:40 PM

I am definitely going to go to the Gazebo! In fact, I had originally wanted our family to stay in Napili, but couldn't find the right place. Napili Kai (1st choice) is way to expensive for what you get. Napili Point is a good price, but not right on the beach. The places on the beach (Mauian and others) have no A/C! I also thought about Napili Shores, but heard it was "worn" looking.

Since my husband is a platinum Marriott rewards member, we decided to go Marriott.

Thanks again...
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:30 PM

I am also trying to decide on which Marriott Maui property to chose for 25th Anniversary trip in the end of September. I am leaning towards the Renaissance Wailea but my concerns are: weather, is there any real differance in Lahaina vs Wailea? We both love the beach and gentle surf (no big waves!)and it looks like the Maui Marriott Resort isn't on a beach but their pool looks better. We also enjoy going to restaurants that are not on the hotel grounds and the Renaissance seems like it might be lacking in restaurants outside of the hotels.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:44 PM
sap

Although every resort has at least one restaurant, there are also a lot of places to eat in Kihei, which is just a couple of minutes north of Wailea. Sarento's on the Beach and Roy's are also not at hotels. There are plenty of choices in a wide range of prices.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:46 PM
sap

I personally think the Wailea area is nicer. Lahaina is an interesting place to visit, but it's a tourist trap. Also, there is really no beach there, only the harbor.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Ok Just wanted to add some info. Buzzmom is right on to say if you compare the Marriott Ocean Club to Ko Olina big disappointment. But Marriott has a lot more flexibility when they are building the resorts from the ground up rather than a conversion like the Ocean Club...so that is why it is less glorious than some of the other TS properties. Aruba's properties are beautiful like KoOlina. I think all the hotels in KaAnapali have the same problem as I have seen hotel rooms in the Westin and Sheraton..built in the 70's or so leaving them as older but trying to renovate to something nicer. But the location on KaAnapali is fantastic and the Marriott is as nice or nicer than the Westin rooms...as per my neighbors who were very displeased w/ the Westin. Also my friends loves the Renaissance which has been bought by Starwood so maybe you should stay there becuase it is truly raved about and won't be Marriott much longer...another thought. But we stayed at the Ocean Club twice and loved it remembering...it has been renovated but the core of the hotel is old ...
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Vengle, Thanks for the perspective. We are off to Hawaii and are very much looking forward to staying in the old but renovated Marriott. We liked it when it was the old "old" Marriott.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Dawn- then you will be pleased with the renovations if you remember the "old" Marriott...still a location to die for! Enjoy! I am heading back to Hawaii in January staying at the Waiohai on Kauai which I purchased and then off to the Big Island. My frist trip not stopping in Maui...
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:37 PM

FYI - Ritz Carlton accepts Marriott points. In Maui in Kapalua its a Tier I location. 175,000 points for a week. Well worth it. My husband and I stayed there last October for our honeymoon and were huge fans. We also visited the Renaissance Wailea and were so happy we chose Kapalua becuase of its proximity to great restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -