Times Square New Years Eve

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We thought about staying at the Marriott Marquis using Marriott points from 12/28 thru 1/2, 2007.

Other than New Year's Eve, are things typical Times Square before and after the big day? Or are we nuts to want to stay right there during this season?

I would expect the 31st to be wild. But hoping the other days are more typical Times Square activity, is that the case?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:41 AM
GoTravel

Firstly, did you check to make sure they have availability? I think they usually sell out.

Times Square is an insane zoo NYE.

Do you have enough points to cash in for the Ritz-Carlton instead?

What about one of the Courtyards?

That whole weekend will be nuts.

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

yes we have enough points... but the Ritz-Carlton might be a good idea. The Marriott requires additional points because of the season, but have enough for 5 nights or so.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:56 AM

I think you're nuts, but my feelings regarding Times Square are well known. Not all the rooms at the Marriott Marquis will give you a good view of the festivities, so you're paying an extraordinary premium (or in your case, using a boat load of points) for a room that will probably not overlook Times Square. Most of those rooms sell out far, far in advance. I'd definitely recommend the Ritz-Carlton. Just being a few blocks further away will make your experience more comfortable.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Couldn't pay me enough money.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:33 AM

It will be otherwise normal. I walked through about 2AM and it was a ghosttown expect for the street cleanup crews and I stayed for 2 days afterwardsand you wouldn't know it was a holiday.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:05 AM

If you are in the 18 to 25 age group you'd probably enjoy standing in the crowds of "partiers" who flock to Times Square on New Year's Eve but if acting like a a drunk is not your thing you are probably wasting your time, money and Marriott points.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Well- I hope you have plenty of points - because the only availability they have is a suite at over $1000 per night. And you should note there is no guarantee that you would have a view of Times Square. That means you would have to still stand in the street for many hours beforehand, from 3/4pm at the latest, unable to leave, with facilities changing area by area - just like everyone else. (The police barricade people in block by block as it fills up. If there is a restaurant you can go in and eat and use the potty. If not, not. No getting in later - and once you leave no getting back in.)

(Also, on that day the police close the front entrance to the Marriott as soon as the sidewalk fills up. Guests have to use the rear entrance - so you can;t think you can stay in the hotel and just walk out the door at 11:30 pm.)

IMHO this is not the thing to do for anyone past college age. At best you stand for hours with little to do. At worst the weather is bad and you freeze - or get soaked - to do what? You can see the whole thing on TV. And I have done it - once - when I was in college. That was enough.

If you want to come to the city then - fine - but avoid the entire west 40's area on New Year's Eve. For choice go to a nice restaurant for dinner in a completely different part of the city and then see the fireworks in Central Park.

And - in general - IMHO - this is one of the least pleasant - and least typical parts of the city any night of the year.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM

My nephew (age 20 and in the Navy) was in Times Square for New Year's Eve last year. He told us that there was no way to go to the bathroom without losing your standing "spot." I think this was due to security issues.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:45 PM

It's also due to the tens of thousands of people who will take your standing spot once you vacate it.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Neopolitan

Here I am -- the guy who always says that many of us tourists stay near Times Square for good reason. But there isn't enough money to get even me to stay there on New Year's Eve. We did stay at the Marquis one year from the day after Christmas until New Year's Eve -- leaving on the 31st in the morning to fly home. To answer you question -- yes, things were pretty "normal" until that day. As we left on the 31st, however, they were boarding over all the glass on the ground floor of the hotel to prevent crowds or bottle throwing from breaking them I guess.

On the other hand, if you MUST do Times Square New Year's Eve, staying at the Marquis -- you'll at least have access to a bathroom!

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM

No - you won;t. they close the front enttrances. And if you walk all the way around the block to the back enttrance - you cna;t get back to your spot - you're just stuck behind the hotel.

Your only choice is to pay the big bucks (or points) for the room and then try to get into one of the restaurants overlooking the ball drop (another fortune - if they still have room).
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:11 PM

We did the Marriott Marquis several years ago in one of those few rooms that overlook Times Square ... Had to book in the spring prior to New Years ... Are you sure that any of those rooms are even available?

I concur with the others ... It was a "zoo". People start accumulating in those "pens" in Times Square at 4pm -- with no bathroom facilties and lots of drinking -- YUCK! Anyway, we were out and just trying to get back to our room around 10:30pm was incredibly difficult -- we almost didn't make it.

I did enjoy having one of those rooms for the experience. If you do that I would recommend getting settled at the Marriott Marquis earlier in the evening. We had room service delivered around 11:45pm and then just watched it all from the room. We were charged around $500 for the News Year Eve night, but I was able to get a rate of $99 for the other 4 nights we stayed (through some connections) so it averaged out OK for our whole stay.

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Neopolitan

It's interesting that if you try the Marriott website, there is no availablity for the Marquis if you enter two nights -- Dec. 30 and 31. But if you enter five nights starting on the 27 through Jan. 1, then there are rooms available. They show rooms for $499 a night on New Year's Eve and $549 for a "deluxe corner room" (no guarantee I'm sure that which way it faces).

In other words they're holding New Year's Eve rooms for those who might still want to book a longer stay.

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:10 AM

There's probably a minimum night stay of more than 2 nights.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:13 AM

Another thought ... I don't think the "deluxe corner rooms" are necessarily the ones that overlook TS. I've stayed at the MM many times, and they have corner rooms that are very large, so for only $50 more than a regular room, I don't think these are the Time Square view rooms ... there are really only a few of these. You really need to call the hotel directly and inquire about these.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

That's right. I had tentatively made a reservation for 5 nights over the New Year period. So I'm sure that is why it was accepted....

But from what I hear, it probably isn't worth the points to stay there then.

Thanks for all your input...
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:16 AM

We had a great time when we did it (with one of those TS view rooms) and still talk about it to this day! I would highly recommend though that for the actual New Years Eve evening, that you are back in the hotel earlier in the evening and just have your activities that evening right at the hotel and then watch everything from your room (if you have one of the view rooms). If it was me and I could do this using my points rather than paying cash, I definitely would. There is a theater at the hotel ("the Marquis") that will probably have a musical playing that night. We were actually planning to do that on New Years Eve when we stayed there -- and then go back to our room around 10:30 to watch everything. Unfortunately the musical closed, so the broker got us tickets for another show and we were stuck trying to make our way back to the hotel around 10:30 -- That I would not recommend! There's also a bar on the lobby floor that overlooks TS -- expect this to be packed.