Time Zone Changes for Baby

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time Zone Changes for Baby

My husband and I are will be taking our 11 month old son to Arizona this fall traveling from Michigan. There is a 2 hour time zone difference (Arizona is 2 hours ahead of MI) and I would love some advice as to how we should handle this.

Thank you.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Arizona is 2 hours ahead of MI?
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:51 AM
GoTravel

I didn't think Arizona participated in Daylight Savings time making it only an hour behind Michigan.

Someone else who knows exactly will tell me but in any case they are behind Michigan not ahead of them.

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 09:14 AM
TheWeasel

Michigan is in the Eastern Time Zone, so they are currently 3 hours ahead of AZ (it's 10:10am in AZ right now, and 1:10pm in MI). If this trip occurs after the switch back to Standard Time in fall, there will be a 2 hour difference. In any case, I would think your son is used to feeding, sleeping, etc. at a regular time, so you'll probably want to keep him on MI time if this is a short (weekend) trip. If it's longer than that, I guess you could try changing his feeding/naptime, etc by 30 minutes/1 hour in the days leading up to the trip to try to switch him over to AZ time.

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 09:16 AM

No simple fixes, here. I've traveled with my kids as babies and it goes just about as you would expect. After a day or so, like you, they acclimate. In the meantime, expect your son to be tired, cranky and hungry. I packed lots of snacks.

The good news is that the travel day to and from wears the babies out so they go to sleep fairly easily. Tummies take longer to fool.

For you, take an aspirin and chill out. I wouldn't let it stop me from traveling. Have BIG diaper bag, will travel. ;-)

Oh, and bring an extra shirt for you, too. Cranky babies are really messy.