Travelaholics Anonymous

Search

Travelaholics Anonymous

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelaholics Anonymous

I know I can't be alone in saying I spend WAAAAY too much time researching vacations. For our upcoming European vacation, I've spent hundreds(?) of hours (probably more than the length of the trip!) researching everything from fares to hotels to sites to restaurants.<BR><BR>This is getting to feel like an addiction, hence the post topic.<BR><BR>How much time do you spend and would you say you go a little too far?
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 12:44 AM

Boy, isn't this the truth! My husband would say that I definitely spend too much time researching and planning, but then he's always the first to ask me how something works or where something is when we get to a destination. For me, doing the research is half the fun of going somewhere, and if I don't have something to plan for I'm down in the &quot;travel-dumps&quot;. Right now I'm researching for a week we're going to spend in Holland at the end of April and am having a blast! I personally don't see anything wrong with it as long as it doesn't interfere with everyday life. Besides, I know a lot of people who spend more time on the computer playing games than I do checking out locations and local customs. Happy travels everyone!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:29 AM

I agree with Sardog 100%. I, too, spend hundreds of hours researching, but find it half the fun (whereas my husband thinks it's a bit too much at times). However, we're always prepared!<BR><BR>I don't see a problem with it as long as it doesn't interfere in the things I absolutely HAVE to get done (ok...it does once in awhile).<BR><BR>Yes, I think that I'm very much a travelaholic. Is there a cure? I mean, besides another trip? ha.<BR><BR>BTW - On our way to Italy this summer, so lots of research there (this board has been wonderful). And, I've even started researching a future trip to Japan, but my hubby says &quot;Let's get this trip taken first.&quot; I think that's another symptom....multiple research.<BR>
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:54 AM
rex

This thread will likely attract posts from two camps: the &quot;confessors&quot; and the &quot;justifiers&quot; (&quot;rationalizers&quot;?)<BR><BR>I'll put myself in the latter camp. I think that I am a MORE effective breadwinner, husband and physician BECAUSE I spend 1-2 hours a day (let's say 500-ish hours/yr) thinking about travel and planning (a) trip(s). Using a 5 year average, there's also about 15-30 days a year in ACTUAL travel (I exclude from this &quot;trips home&quot; at holidays to grandma's, pure business travel or kid/college-travel if it is functional only).<BR><BR>Some people spend far more time than this on other hobbies - - and others take far more time off from work than this. So, I submit that the 1-2 hours a day help keep me working, doing the things I need to (&quot;ought to&quot be doing.<BR><BR>Ultimately, is the &quot;excessive&quot; expenditure of time doing some activity of pleasure a real problem? even if it does ressemble an &quot;addiction&quot;? Do some people spend too much time at the gym? serving lunches at the homeless sheler? supporting activities in their community or school system? <BR><BR>An &quot;addiction&quot; includes getting into adverse outcome situations, or neglecting generally important/beneficial behaviors. If you think you're doing that, then maybe you have a problem.<BR><BR>If love of travel - - in thought or deed - - is helping you keep TO your life agenda, then I would not call it a problem.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:59 AM

So good to read this and find out that &quot;I am NOT alone&quot;!<BR>I do the same as Biscuit - spend hundres of hours researching everything. First thing in the morning the computer goes on to see if there is any travel-related email and then on to the travel boards.<BR>I have felt SO GUILTY about this, have you felt the same?<BR>I will have to say that for THIS trip (we leave Thursday 6 March) my husband is being so positive about the preparation. He has expressed appreciation about all the details that go into planning a trip like this one.<BR>The thing that makes me feel obsessive is that I *have* to have a trip in the future. Even now - while I am mentally going through the last minute preparations, I have another trip ghosting in my mind.<BR>And yes, I do justify it by saying &quot;other people&quot; waste a lot of time that I'm using for travel planning! Look at the time spent in watching hours and hours of sports (etc etc etc) <BR>I guess - bottom line - it's my way of escape and I don't want to change to another way.<BR>Thanks for the thread, Biscuit, and for the other replies as well.<BR>Ok, so what are dues???!!!<BR>Carol / Brahmama
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:01 AM

Yes I do spend a lot of time planning researching and dreaming of the trip we take. It has always paid off, we are never under prepared! I've learned a lot in my research. It's healthier then other things I could be addicted to! Happy travels. Off to Paris in May. Already planning for Italy 2004!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:18 AM

One can easily justify the research because it creates efficiency - both schedule and financial - for the trip. My family likes to make fun of my travel research obsession but will agree that while on the trip, things are more enjoyable for all as we are better prepared.<BR><BR>But of course that is not the primary reason I read, research, chat - it is a fun and relatively harmless addiction. I work part time and am currently doing loads of laundry inbetween reading and posting here.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:22 AM

And there's researching and researching...<BR><BR>You can plan and micro-manage and stress yourself into never actually enjoying the trip. (Personally I tell myself that if I've got my passport, credit cards, tickets and at least one night's accommodation organised, things will probably be OK: but then I tend not to go up mountains or into jungles or deserts).<BR><BR>Or you can read travel literature (and if you're like me never actually get round to going in person to the really exotic places - much the most comfortable option).<BR><BR>But which is the unhealthier 'ism'?<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:01 AM

I'm addicted too! I love to plan and research trips and read as much as possible before I go. Right now, I'm in the &quot;down&quot; phase. I went on a 2 week trip to London and England at the end of January, and I don't have anything planned yet for my next one. So right now my head is filled with thoughts of &quot;Where should I go next?&quot;, and I have so many ideas - but since it probably won't be until 2004, I have lots of time to read these boards to see what part of the world peaks my interest next!<BR><BR>Happy travels everyone.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:14 AM

Hi, my name is Scarlett and I am a travelholic<BR>When we are not planning a trip for ourselves, I try to help friends plan their trips. Living vicariously through others travels, is that a symptom of travelholism?<BR>While I feel it is great fun to &quot;discover&quot; something while on a trip, it is still good to feel that you have a basic idea of what to expect and where to go.<BR>One year we made plans to go to Italy in the fall, we made our reservations in Feb! So I had months to research. It is half the fun to plan and I don't know what &quot;too far&quot; would be
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Oh yes, oh yes. I am obsessed.<BR>I can't help myself. The discovery of internet message boards has propelled me to a whole other level of research. Now I have something I can check every day.<BR>Of course, I do justify it when I am traveling to more exotic locations like Cambodia where things change daily. No excuse for my upcoming trip to Sicily (where I've already been before!)however. Why do you think I'm here?<BR>Besides the message boards, I love to read travelogues, combing them for details of the best places to stay or eat, or for pitfalls to avoid. Of course, I had to do my own when I did a RTW trip (talk about obsessive planning!) 4 years ago and have managed to keep it up for subsequent trips as well.<BR>If anyone wants to check it out for research (or pure escapism) go to<BR>http://www.wired2theworld.com<BR>I've got lots of photos, journals, tips, and budgets there.<BR>Funny thing is, I'd never want to attend a T.A. meeting...I just don't want to give up my addiction!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:31 AM

Travelholism isn't a disease, it's a hobby. If researching vacations 4 hours a day 7 days a week brings you pleasure and doesn't keep you from neglecting life's responsibilities then there is absolutely no harm in it. In fact it's quite beneficial to one's mental health - happy happy happy. Planning IS 1/2 the fun!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:19 AM

I'm definitely addicted to the research. In addition, I often find myself researching two or three trips into the future while researching our present trip. This travel board has helped me immensely, and has often whetted my appetite for traveling to places that I might not have otherwise considered.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:29 AM

I am topping this because I belong in this category! I love researching travel... I think the best part is that there is always more to learn. Scarlett's activities describe mine to a tee.<BR><BR>HAPPY TRAVELS, FELLOW TRAVELERS!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 11:28 AM

I am one too. I find provisioning for a trip almost as fun as the trip itself. I do like to plan what we will do but will never forget our first time taking our little girl to London-threw out the schedule and had a blast.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Gino

Biscuit,<BR>I have already finished researching this years trip--started 10 months ago.<BR>I am now researching next years trip.<BR>Talk about a fanatic.

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Don't be ashamed Brahmama, it's a positive obsession! It's an obsession I happen to love and my wife my doing it too.<BR><BR>There is a topic about travel agents and who knows what we like best better than ourselves?!? I think travel agents are fine for certain things, but if you have the time, go for it!<BR><BR>It is one thing I am passionate about for sure! The only question is whether I went overboard when I spent dozens of hours AT WORK researching? I think I went over the line there, not that I regret it or anything. <BR><BR>Gino, I think you got me beat hands down. I've only been researching this trip since December. 10 months! Now that's planning!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 12:21 PM

I must confess....I started researching our upcoming trip to Italy, this summer, in January 2002. Early, yes, but we got first dibs on the places we wanted to stay when I actually booked this past January.<BR>
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 12:29 PM

I'm an early (and obsessive) planner, too. My daughter tells people I'm not happy without at least two trips pending! We are going to Italy in April with 5 other couples and I'm the planner for the group, started a year ago. I'm going to ireland with my sister and daughter in September and I'm booking hotels now...very late for me! We usually do get to stay at our first choices because we book early.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 01:46 PM

I think I've become an addict to this web site but not for extensive planning. I enjoy suggesting things for people to do based upon my own experience and will read what others have done. <BR><BR>My own planning consists of reading a few guide books ahead of time (Michelin always goes with me) and making a tentative list of things to see and do. I also get a map ahead of time so I can see which things can be grouped. <BR><BR>We've stayed in 5 different hotels in London and 5 in Paris and have probably enjoyed meals (all except the tete de veau in Paris when they served me everything inside the poor beast's head)in at least 25 restaurants in each but I wouldn't think of recommending one. <BR>We find our restaurants by asking the concierge or just walking around checking menus and the clientele. <BR><BR>I guess we're in the camp of &quot;PatrickLondon&quot;. But we'll do him one better. Way back in 1962 when a plane ticket to the furthest point allowed intermediate stops we flew from Boston to Glasgow (where we left our kids) then to Bergen, Oslo, Copenhagen, London and back to Glasgow (to retrieve the kids) without a single reservation (except Boston to Glasgow and return). It was wonderful and exciting and we'll never forget the first breakfast and the down comforter at the Hotel Bristol in Bergen. And cutting short our stay in Oslo so we could get to Copenhagen for the May 1st opening. And buying a Hans Wegner table in Copenhagen to be shipped home.<BR><BR>And November 2001 in Paris when we spent a morning spontaneously tracking down Mourlot Imprimeur, the great lithographers for Picasso, Matisse, and the other Montparnasse artists of the 20th century. We were thrilled to be invited to watch the presses produce an Andre Brasilier lithograph under his supervision. Wow!<BR><BR>For us, it has always been the unexpected that has made our journeys memorable.<BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -