Tijuana Border Parking Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anone give me directions amd info to a parking lot near the border.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Take the highway all the way to the border and take the last exit... it tells you it is the last exit.
There is a parking lot right at the end of the exit. Park there and walk right into Mexico, no problemo.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alot. Seems pretty simple to me.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 05:15 PM

Just a couple more thoughts...
Parking was cheap, like 5 or 6 bucks the last time I went and it was a hellova lot better than the blasted slow trolley from San Diego.
Just PLEASE make sure you are not legally drunk when you leave.
If you plan to drink, take the slow but safe for everyone else trolley.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:20 PM

We did this last summer - had absolutely no idea where parking lot was, but knew it existed. Took last exit off highway and then just followed signs/crowds. Several parking lots - if we can find it anyone can since we get chronically lost on vacation.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:45 PM

This probably goes without saying, but please be sure and take an American photo ID with you.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 10:13 PM
hsv

As has already been pointed out, there are a couple of parking lots near the border at the last exit.

I would consider walking over twice, though. The walk into downtown Tijuana is not as short as one would imagine and IMO does not lead through particularly scenic nor even nice neighborhoods. It can get rather hot and dusty.
I think a bus called the BIG RED BUS stops on the American side of the border (at least I took it on my way back from Mexico to the border parking lot). You could jump on that and cross the border en route to downtown Tijuana.
Furthermore, I am not going to advise you to not go to Tijuana at all, which I normally would, because I think the place is not worth even one hour of my precious time, as I realize that you seem dedicated to undertake that trip.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:44 PM

We did the parking lot/crossing on foot in May. We were met immediately by scores of taxis and managed to get a $20. fare to Rosarito Beach for a 1/2 day with a local real estate agent. That was the easy part: the nightmare return to the US was very crowded and took two + hours from the TJ downtown bus station - and, apparently, the buses and commercial shuttles/vans have priority over returning private cars and pedestrian traffic. Late Sunday afternoon was not the ideal time to return.
M
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:52 AM

I agree with "hsv" about the merits of going at all. After going there I felt it was not worth the time, frustration or uneasy feeling that kept creeping up on me.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:33 AM

TJ is best visited with people from TJ.
I have a friend who lives there and he knows what to do and where to go.
I never feel uneasy with him and no matter what people think, there are wonderful Mexican Art stores on Revolution... just don't expect cheap.
My last visit we went to a great restaurant, too... can't recall the name.
Having been over the bridge many times I admit I hate the initial travel into the city but I always find great things to bring back.
Can't beat TJ for inexpensive stained glass pieces. They are 1/4 the price they go for here in Dallas.