Tickets for SOL and Ellis Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming that if you order tickets before arriving in NY, you would just queue for security and then board the ferry. If this is the case, do you still have to arrive 2 hours before the ferry leaves? Where do you P/U the audio devices?

Also, what would be enough time to see SOL and Ellis Island at a leisurely pace, how much time is spent at each, etc. Just trying to determine what boarding time would be the best for us. We are not early a.m. people. Thanks for any and all comments.
Old May 8th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

TTP
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:03 PM

You have to pick the tickets up first, and then line up for security/ferry. Better give yourself plenty of time. We were waiting on tardy friends and had to catch a later ferry. No big deal, but it did slow us down a bit. I think the will call is in the round brick building (Clinton Castle?) very near the entrance to the ferry line. Don't know about the audio tour.
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:52 AM

Unless they've changed procedures, you pick up the audio devices inside the main entrance to the Ellis Island building. Am assuming it's the same way the SOL.

Two hours seems like plenty, but I guess it depends on what time of day/year you go. We went in the fall on a weekday mid-morning, and it wasn't crowded. But I guess it might be in the summer or on a weekend.

BTW, the trip is worth it, and so is the audio tour.
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:28 AM

We did this in March, and the information you received is correct. HOWEVER--somewhere we read that you could get in line for the SOL before your ticket time. That was wrong, they were not allowing people in before their reserved ticket time.

This would come into play if you tried to reserve tickets on a day where only later entrance times were available--thinking you could arrive earlier. You do need a good deal of time to complete the tours, particularly the Ellis Island audio tour. All in all we spent three hours touring, not including the queue for the initial ferry ride.

Security is very tight, so plan on being patient.
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:23 AM

If you're not familiar with the Nevada Barr mysteries (each one is set in a different national park), this'd be a great time to start. She has an excellent book called "Liberty Falling" that takes place at Ellis and the SOL - I think it'd enhance your view of things if you read it beforehand. She's a quick and reliable read, so hers are good travel/airline books. Have fun!
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all that have answered.

My husband and I will be arriving on Friday 6/10/05 and planning on SOL and Ellis Island on Sunday, 6/12/05. I have checked the SOL website and they state a Park Ranger will be leading the tour including the observation area, thus do we need the audio for the SOL and appx. how long is that tour? I believe we will need the audio for Ellis Island. Will we be able to pay for the audio tour there or again, order ahead? Beentheretwice stated you need 3 hours (is this for Ellis Island tour only)or the SOL and Ellis?

I guess what I'm trying to determine is approximately how long the entire tour will last so I can determine what time I should request the time pass for. Should I plan on 4, 5 or 6 hours total; arrive at 9:45, tickets for 11:45 would give us 5-1/2 hours for touring both. Would this be enough time?

Again, thanks to everyone for their replies.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:48 AM

I went in January and I'm sure the crowds will be much different in June, but there was a moderate crowd when I went. I'd be surprised if you needed to be there two hours early for your ferry time, but security is fairly rigorous and redundant at SOL even after going through the same process before boarding the Ferry.

As far as time allocation, you should be able to do SOL in about 1 1/2 hrs, but I'd allow at least twice that for Ellis Island with all its displays/exhibits/movies.

I didn't do the audio tour at either, but a park ranger led the SOL tour up to the observation level and it was plenty informative.
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:53 AM

I just went last october and I never even got to see the statue of liberty. They had sold out of tickets long before we got there. I believe we were there at about 11am, 11:30.

For Ellis Island we waited over THREE HOURS in line. We barely got to see anything. I think we were on the last boat back about 4:30-5pm.

So, if there is anyway that you can get tickets earlier, I would. The security was ridicculous. Be prepared to take off your jacket, belt, and shoes and all your stuff needs to be x-rayed.

Especially if you aren't early AM people, I would be trying to find advance tickets. Good luck and have a nice time.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:03 PM

We didn't purchase the audio tour for SOL. There is a walk through museum that will tell you anything you want to know, and you simply can't wander the structure on your own. The rangers do the guide.

The audio tour at Ellis Island was well worth the time. Even my elementary aged children enjoyed it.

The three hours was for both sites, not including the wait to get on the first boat over to SOL. At the very least, I would try for a late morning time slot, earlier is better. You pick up your Will Call tickets at the battery building across from the boats. The audio tour will be at Ellis Island.

Something to consider, if time is an issue, is to skip the SOL and just ride to Ellis Island. You can't go up beyond SOL's feet, and some people don't think it is worth the time. We went, had to, it's like kissing the blarney stone in Ireland.

If you are intending to visit on a Sunday, by all means purchase your tickets ahead of time. I believe our tickets were for 10:30 or so.