SOL on the 2:00pm tickets

Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

SOL on the 2:00pm tickets

Hello everyone.
Me and my wife are planning a trip to NYC in the first week of October (first time in America).
Once our flights were arranged, I hurried to make reservations for a "crown access" ticket to the Statue of Liberty.
The only ticket which fit our plans (and wasn't already sold out) was a 2:00pm ticket.

The statue cruises site noted that:
"If you choose to depart after 2:00pm you will only be able to visit either Liberty Island or Ellis Island. Unfortunately, there will not be enough time to visit both landmarks"

Since our tickets are for 2:00pm (and the ferry probably not depart at the precise hour) I guess that the above statement relates to our situation. Am I right?

Should I make plans to come back again on another day and visit Ellis Island too, or can I still do them both with the ticket ordered?

maybe it will improve my chances to do both if I will show up at Battery Park an hour early to the ferry schedule?
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:39 AM

Starting at 2 pm you won;t have time to visit both - since there are:

1)Getting on the ferry - get there in advance since there is an airline-type security check
2)ferry trip to the island
3)Waiting line to get into the Statue
4) Theclimb is slow to the stop
5)waiting for the next ferry
6?ferry to Ellis Island - to pick up people going back to Manhattan

By the time you get to Ellis Island the Museum will be closing or closed, And the entire trip - both SoL and Ellis Island takes about 6 hours even if you don;t dawdle in the museum and already have ferry tickets in advance.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 06:11 AM

agree with NY Traveler--the Ellis island tour (which to me having my Grandfather come thru there, is just so much more substantive) takes at least 2 hours on the island.The last time i went we got the audio tour, and it was so great hearing from folks who actually went thru there.Then we walked around the island,got a casual lunch,and leisurly returned to the ferry.The ferry stops at both places.At my age 65, i wouldnt have the stamina to do both in one day--but theyre worth the time--as you can tell givena choice,Id do Ellis first.BTW, October is the best time of year to see the city.If youre there during Columbus day, make sure you take the parade in and see the vendors
Aug 2nd, 2010, 06:46 AM

Whether you'll have time really depends on whether you climb to the top. I honestly don't get the need to climb the statue. For years now the crown has been closed and people have happily visited the statue without climbing to the top. But if that's your priority, do it and see what time it is. You don't need to book now to go back another day to Ellis Island. You can do that once you're here. It's crown access or monument access that's the problem--not just getting the ferry to Ellis Island. The fastest time to go with shortest wait time is on the first ferry of the day. So if you don't make it to Ellis Island, reserve for another day on the first ferry if you can. If the Statue visit is late in your trip, don't know what to advise. You should plan on getting there early anyway as security takes a long time.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:14 AM

Well, since this poster got those "tough to get" crown tickets, I'm assuming they are going to use them.

Actually what people do not realize is the ferry tickets are open, so I would try for an earlier ferry and be the first group of 10 to access the crown, they do 3 groups per hour. The separate Statue security line can be intense and long, slow moving. Then if you choose to leave immediately after your decent, you may have time for a short visit of Ellis Island, at least enough time to get in the building??
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:08 PM

actually theres 2 tickts for the ferry, a reserve ticket,for a specific time,and a flex ticket--which allows you to go once over a 3 day period.The reserve ticket gives you priority boarding,ie you get on BEFORE the flex ticket people--this can save lots of waiting time