Three day Colorado itinerary - looking to hike, explore and relax

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2017, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have three day's free in Colorado. I will be in Denver for a bit and then I want to get out and explore. I've been to Estes Park, Colorado Springs area/Garden of the Gods and around Boulder.

I'm looking for a combination of fun towns, with gorgeous scenery and the opportunity to hike and be outdoor's. I will be in Colorado during the early part of May and will have access to a car.

Does anyone have any itinerary recommendations? I would love to do Telluride but I think it's too far for having only 3 day's and 3 nights. Any thought's?

Besides Telluride, I was interested in maybe driving out to Aspen and doing some hiking around there. Steamboat or Glenwood Springs also intrigue me.

If you had 3 days in Colorado where would you go?
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 12:46 PM

Telluride is indeed too far from Denver for such a short stay.

Keep in mind there could still be snow...it snowed as recently as last week.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 02:09 PM

What do you mean last week? We had 4" in Denver two days ago. And the forecast for tomorrow is 80. Spring time in the Rockies.

In early May it will be hard to hike anywhere simply because of snow and mud if no snow. May is often referred to as mud reason for good reason. If the weather is good there are some great places. In Leadville the Mineral Belt trail is paved so if no snow a great hike - 12 miles loop. With three days, you could hit Georgetown, Leadville, Glenwood Canyon and Glenwood Springs and even Aspen via Glenwood Springs is not out of the question.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 03:25 PM

sorry, fmp - I just got back from Hawaii and lost track of your snow - it did snow here last Saturday (3rd snow in 10 days in fact).

My point was simply that there is/can be snow in lots of areas and that needs to be taken into consideration by OP since they are thinking of hiking.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 07:20 PM

Glenwood Springs would probably be the best option in May. As has been noted, May in the Rockies is known to locals as mud season. All that melting snow. Weather can be pleasant or even snowy. Glenwood Springs offers hiking, hot springs for swimming or relaxing, rafting although this can be tricky early in the season and biking along the Glenwood Canyon bike path. The altitude there is about 1,000 ft lower than the ski resorts and as fmpden said, you could easily drive over to Aspen if weather is good.