Three and a Half Days in Hudson Valley?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I decided to go for a quick getaway in October. We will be leaving Thursday evening after work and returning on Tuesday. We live in the Detroit area and I've been reading about Hudson Valley. We love history, art, and I enjoy photography, especially in the fall. It looks like there is so much to see and do! It will take about 10 hours to get there. We would probably drive 5 hours on Thursday evening, then have the remainder of the driving on Friday. That would leave the rest of the day Friday, and full days Saturday, Sunday and Monday with a long drive home on Tuesday and back to work Wednesday morning.

My question is, will that do it justice or should we save Hudson Valley for another year when we have a full week or so? If not there, then where? It was a long busy summer and I've got bit by the travel bug! I want to get away! Other options are Toronto/Niagara, a trip to the west side of Michigan and on up to the UP.....
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 06:41 AM

I think you can see and do a lot that the Hudson Valley has to offer in three-and-a-half days. You might be interested in staying at the Mohonk Mountain House, a resort in New Paltz, NY, in the heart of the Hudson Valley. Its website (www.mohonk.com) has a page dedicated to nearby attractions.

Try to visit Il Cenácolo in Newburgh for an excellent Italian dinner.
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 07:10 AM

We spent six days driving from Tarrytown to Kinderhook and back and felt that it wasn't really enough time.
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 10:14 AM

Agree that you can see quite a bit in 3.5 days - as long as you don;t mind the very long drive at either end.

As for Mohonk - certainly look into it - but IMHO it is very expensive for a pretty property - but iwth mediocre food and services.
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM

We have tickets for the Great Pumpkin Blaze, weekend in October. Tons of October events in the Hudson Valley.
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM

You are coming in probably the most beautiful time of the year here, thanks to the fall foliage. Here are some of my A-list recommendations:
*Kykuit (the Rockefeller estate) in Pocantico Hills (adjacent to Tarrytown)
*Storm King Art Center in Cornwall...a must-see any time of the year, but especially during the foliage season.
*FDR's home and museum and the Vanderbilt mansion in Hyde Park
*Olana (artist Frederic Church's home) in Hudson. (The grounds are especially magnificent this time of the year.)
*Just driving in the Hudson Valley this time of the year is enough to make my A-list.
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 11:50 AM

You might want to take a look at my trip report; click on my name to find it.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

HowardR - thanks for your suggestions! There's so much to do in this area that I was starting to feel overwhelmed! How much driving is between each of the places you listed? Also, coming from Detroit - which city would be the best place to start at/end at?

Abram - I did look at your trip report - wonderful!!

Michael - thanks, I'll go look at your trip report now.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 06:04 AM

I agree with HowardR's recommendations--those were definitely hjighlights of our trip. The other spots we particularly enjoyed were Manitoga (in Garrison) and West Point.

From south to north, it's only about 90 miles from Kykuit to Olana, so there's not much driving involved.

The lodging was a bit challenging--there were either (what we refer to as) dumpy motels or pricey B&Bs, which aren't really our thing. In HUdson, we did like the Inn at Ca' Mea very much.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. In the end we decided to go to Toronto. I wanted more time for my visit to Hudson Valley....and there's always next year!!
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 10:40 AM

I know that I am late in the game here but have you considered Niagara On The Lake? It is beautiful at this time of year. It is just about 10 miles outside of Niagara Falls. Beautiful and low key and about the same distance as Toronto. I suggest the Moffit Inn to stay.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks gardendiva. We have been to NOTL before, and may consider it as a day trip from Toronto.