This weekend in Austin

Search

This weekend in Austin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This weekend in Austin

Hi. I've never been to austin. will be staying at Radisson downtown without a car.
I'm a walker -- if weather's nice, would like to walk around area and see as much as possible during saturday and sunday. (nights busy with wedding)
Please give some ideas! thanks.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:47 PM

you can walk around downtown easily - it's very safe. Also, take a stroll around the lake - if I'm not mistaken, the hotel is right on the lake. Go have a drink at the Four Seasons bar next door. Go walk arond the new 2nd st. shopping district. Walk over the bridge to the South Congress area - lots of shops and restaurants. Take a cab to Mount Bonnell and walk up the stairs for a great view of the lake and city.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM

Walk from your hotel up Congress to the Capitol Building. The building and grounds are beautiful. If you like real Mexican food, not TexMex, stop at Las Manitas. It's just about two blocks up from your hotel, toward the capitol building. It's only open for breakfast and lunch til 2:30 on weekends. Don't miss the Whole Foods store on N. Lamar and Fifth Street. I guarantee you that this is no ordinary grocery store. Lots of cute shops around that area too on N. Lamar and down Sixth Street.

Weather may be a little rainy on Saturday (we hope anyway!!) but don't let that stop you. We've had very little rain and only light rain lately when we actually get some.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:02 PM
J62

There is also a (free?) trolley bus (called 'Dillo) that loops around downtown - the hotel can tell you exact routes. You could try to walk up Congress to the capitol bldg, but it's 15 blocks and uphill. Definitely walkable, but a bit of a trek. Right behind the capitol is the State of TX museum. Definitely check it out if you can.

On PM's recommendation, I went to a new restaurant at Congress and 7th called Roaring Fork last week for dinner (didn't ever make it to Fonda San Miguel). Very nice restaurant. Menu looked great. I only had salad and soup, so it's on my follow up list for restaurants. (I'm assuming PM will check this Austin thread)

The Town Lake hike/bike trail, which SA Girl talks about is a very popular walking/running trail - bring comfy walking shoes and a water bottle.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:07 PM

Walk up Congress to the Capitol and walk around inside, it is lovely. From there, it is a two block walk to the Bob Bullock Museum. Even if you don't want to pay to visit, the museum store is full of fun Texas items. http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/

The University of Texas is right across the street from the Bullock Museum, if you want to explore its museums and buildings. http://www.utexas.edu/

On Saturday there is a Farmer's Market on Guadalupe and Fourth Street-you can get a breakfast taco (local specialty) and there is usually some kind of live entertainment.

You may know that Austin is the home of Whole Foods and its flagship store on Sixth and Lamar is something special. I know it sounds odd to visit a grocery store, but you haven't seen anything like this. Across the street from Whole Foods is the largest independent bookstore in Texas; it is very eclectic. Across another corner is Waterloo Records which carries a fantastic and varied collection of music (remember, this is the home of SXSW).

Tomorrow, Thursday, the Austin Chronicle is published and it lists local events and activities-check it out to see if there are any steet festivals going on this weekend, Austin always has something going on.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:08 PM

Link to Austin Chronicle
http://www.austinchronicle.com/

Have a great weekend!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:15 PM

Thought of something else. If you like historic hotels, check out the Driskill on Sixth Street. Hang a right if you're walking up Congress toward the Capitol. Great place too for lunch, dessert, or a drink.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:54 PM

The most recent weather report I heard was absolutely beautiful weather this weekend. Sunny and mid 70's. (It was 90 today, and about 88 today.)
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:55 PM

Meant to add - walk to Congress ave and turn right. Go 2 blocks and have breakfast at Las Manitas. Sunday, brunch ant Manuels (across from Las Manitas, one block north).
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:56 PM

I love Austin and living in the concrete world of Houston, I try to make it out there as often as I can.

Love Las Manitas but another option is El Sol y La Luna. Get to Congress and go the opposite direction of the Capitol. It's several blocks to the right close to Hotel San Jose (I think that's the name, anyway). There are neat stores in the area too including a coffee shop that sometimes have live bands you can sit and listen for free.

Zilker Park is also quite nice. There's a place there you can rent canoes and go canoeing (http://www.zilkerboats.com/) or bikes even to bike around the grounds.

Too bad you'll miss the bats. They're supposed to start arriving around mid march but they may be early?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:08 PM

maria, you're so right! El Sol y La Luna is another favorite of ours. Alison is staying at the Radisson so all she needs to do is walk across the bridge and down a little ways to get there. Just cross Congress where convenient cause it's on the other side of the street. Keep heading south down Congress after El Sol and that's where you run into the shops. Lots of people (including Bill Clinton) love Guero's just up the street. You'll definitely see a crowd there on the weekend.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:43 PM

Oh yes, I LOVE their white posole which they only serve on weekends. I don't think anyone else makes them as good. Had really good red posole that came close in Albuquerque on when we stopped for a quick lunch after the flight on hte way to Santa Fe. If you do go, try some of that!

AustinTraveler: Do you know of the little off the hwy (360) area, I remember it being part of the E..something Equifier, where there are little streams and a small climbing wall? There should be a bat museum or shop or refuge or something close to it. I've been to it only once, happened on to it on the way to showing some friends Mount Bonnell after lunch at Oasis but can't seem to recreate my steps to find it. Any idea?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:05 PM

maria, not sure exactly what you're referring to but maybe it was Bull Creek or Barton Creek Greenbelts? Both have a creek and little waterfalls (well, not right now cause everything is so dry!) and I know there's a climbing rock at Barton Creek Greenbelt. But the bat thing has me stumped (other than the ones under the Congress bridge). If you went to Mt. Bonnell after the Oasis, you no doubt took 2222 and that would take you by Bull Creek. Sorry, can't help more than that!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:21 PM
J62

Maria would be referring to the hiking trail along the Barton Creek.

The most common trailhead is just off Loop360 (aka Capitol of Tx Highway). You take the Mopac (aka Loop 1) highway entrance S. off of Loop 360 and park on the side of the entrance way - you'll always see cars there. This is a beautiful stretch of natural spring fed creek. It gets a little too much dog traffic in my opinion (dogs aren't the problem, but owners who don't clean up after them are).

Water is spring fed and clean and many people will be swimming or playing in the creek on a hot day. Great fun and I always find some way to play in the creek when I visit (there are other access points further upstream off private land - helps to have friends who live there)
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:28 PM
J62

GPS coordinates of the place I posted above are:

satellite map at http://tinyurl.com/f5b4d
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:43 PM
P_M

I'm just now seeing this thread and you've already got a lot of great suggestions to fill your weekend. But I had to jump in and congratulate J62 on the prediction that I would check this thread. Just last week my husband asked me why I spend so much time on this board, saying, "you don't even know these people." Little does he understand just how well we DO know each other on this board. Thanks for making my day, J62!!

Alison, have a great time in our city.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

I had checked for a few days and there were no responses -- was I ever surprised to see so many and with such GREAT ideas. Thank you all so, so much for taking the time. Sounds like fun!
And let me know if you ever need advice about sights in Los Angeles!
(the food sounds GREAT and can't even imagine the Whole Foods, but I'll check it out!)
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:12 PM

PM, I have posted many questions myself on this foruma and I do find myself spending alot of time here, particulary during the planning stages. I try to scan through new topics when I do log in and give advice/opinions when I can because I think it only fair. What goes around comes around so I'm glad you take the time too.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:13 PM

PM, I have posted many questions myself on this foruma and I do find myself spending alot of time here, particulary during the planning stages. I try to scan through new topics when I do log in and give advice/opinions when I can because I think it only fair. What goes around comes around so I'm glad you take the time too.

Alison, have a great weekend. The weather is supposed to be nice!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:14 PM

Alison, have a great weekend. The weather is supposed to be nice!

AustinTraveler and J62, Super! I think it IS the Barton Creek hiking area. I will make a note of that and check that out on the next Austin trip. Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -