Reload this Page >

Thinking about the New Otani Kaimana in Waikiki

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Georg

Our first thought was to stay at the Kahala Mandarin. But the cost of their cheapest room is more than the cost of the best room at the New Otani. Plus it is not within walking distance of town and we want to try a few eateries there. The Halekulani was next on our list, but again, cost is so much more and from what I have read it is in a more congested and noisy area than the Otani. The appeal of both of these upper end hotels seems to be service, which we will not avail ourselves of, because we won't have time to loll at the pool, and won't be getting room service (a rip-off in mho). I have already read all the raves on these two hotels. The Otani would offer ocean front room, in a quieter part of Waikiki, within a 15 minute stroll of town, on a great, less congested beach and next to a park at a more reasonable price. Since a huge room is not an issue (we'll be there only 3 nights) I think this is my pick. Can anyone give me a reason not to book at the New Otani? And if you have any pointers for cheaper rates there, advice would be appreciated (i.e. is it in the Hawaii Entertainment book?). Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Georg

Anyone?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Becky

While I haven't stayed myself, I know it is highly rated. The restaurant Hau Tree Lanai was in The Entertainment book last year, I don't have this year's book but the website entertainment.com gives a lot of info, even maps & menus. Also, ANY city's book gets you into the hotel discount. But New Otani is not in the book this year, sorry.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:35 PM
lcuy

I love to eat at the New Ohtani and have had many friends and clients stay there. Never a complaint and the location is great. the beach out in front is one of my favorite "city" beaches.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Burta

The New Otani Kaimana Beach is not in the same class of hotel as either the Kahala Mandarin or the Halekulani, both of which are 5-star self-contained resorts. The Halekulani has been rated one of the best in the WORLD, not just Hawaii.

That being said, however, if luxury is not paramount in your criteria, the location of the Kaimana and it's lovely Hau Tree Lanai restaurant are great. The hotel is right on the beach at Waikiki and across the street from its front entrance is a very large park. It is at the quiet end of Waikiki, which may mean some walking for you to get to other restaurants, shops and sights, but if you are able-bodied and enjoy walking, this should be no problem.

The Halekulani, though self-contained is more central in location -- right in the middle of Waikiki. While it is right on the water, there is no beach directly in front of it, but very, very close by (you can see the beach from the front of the property). The restaurants are wonderful and very pricey (there are three, where the Kaimana only has one).

The Kahala is very isolated and will require that you either have a car or take their shuttle to Waikiki. It has a great beach and pool area, a lagoon with dolphins, and great restaurants.

They are all good hotels, but the Kahala and Halekulani are world class, so it just depends on how important price and luxury are to you.
The rooms at the Kaimana will never match the other two, but will not be as expensive either.

Have a wonderful stay...

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Lenore

Hi Georg - We stayed at the New Otani this past April for 5 nights. It is a decent hotel with a very welcoming staff, but I would not consider it luxurious. Our room was rather small and the bathroom was very small, but that was never really an issue for us. We had an ocean view room that faced all the highrises of Waikiki Beach and the ocean. We spent a lot of time in the evenings people watching from our balcony and listening to the surf....which is a great way to lull you off to sleep. They have Hau Tree Lanai restaurant which is excellent, especially at sunset. There is also a Japanese restaurant we didn't like at all. Although this hotel is located right on the beach in Waikiki, it seemed much quieter and totally removed from the hustle & bustle. It's a bit of a walk to most of the "action" and restaurants of Waikiki. Not bad if you're not already exhausted from hiking up Diamond Head or whatever activities you enjoy. The biggest drawbacks for the New Otani are 1) no pool and 2) no designated non-smoking rooms. Our room had a definite smoky smell throughout our entire stay even though we often left the sliding doors open. For the money though, I think it's a good value. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Georg

Thanks to all who replied so far. Smaller room and bathroom don't worry us since we will be there only three nights. The Hau Tree restaurant is on our list. The website claims downtown is a "15 minute stroll", so that shouldn't be a problem. And, I hate to admit it, but we are smokers, so we would be asking for a smoking room anyway. I was thinking that it would be better to have a premium room here than the lowest grade room the other two.