Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

think good thoughts for the U.S. soccer team!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:35 AM
Tess

Down 0-1 in the first half against Ghana. This one's been called the biggest game in U.S. soccer history--I think more for validation of the sport than anything else. Send out those positive vibes for a win!

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps Ghana will accidentally kick the ball in their goal and we can celebrate a tie.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:47 AM
Tess

1-1, baby!!!!

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:49 AM
Tess

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 1-2 and I'm ripping my hair out in frustration over Fodor's dumb posting problems.

Time to go to work and be a productive member of society (thank goodness for ESPN.com).

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually we got further in the last World Cup -- our beginning division wasn't nearly as tough as this one. Pleased for Ghana that they'll advance.

Less pleased with level of US play and less pleased with some of the ref calls in this and previous game. That penalty kick call wasn't correct, but US wasn't playing so well that that made a difference.

Hope we'll be back in 2010 with stronger manager, stronger team. But thanks to the guys who did go this year -- & bless 'em for what they did!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:38 PM
Tess

My son got together with a few members of his high school soccer team to watch the U.S. game this morning. I have to hope as their generation ages and coach their own children in soccer, it approaches the same popularity as in the rest of the world. He's awfully tired of high school football coaches who give him grief about soccer and tell him to play a 'real' sport. At 6 ft. 3 and blessed with his father's athletic ability (note I said nothing about his mother's...), he could (and has) play either basketball or football but lives and breathes soccer instead.

So hats off to the U.S. team and its supporters and...please get some forwards who can score in 2010!! And oh yes, refs who know when a yellow card is appropriate and when it isn't would also be nice.

Go Ghana!

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Biggest game in US soccer history? Have we already forgotten the women's gold cup win?
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
Tess

correction: biggest game in men's soccer!!